Re-Install From USB Drive Error

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I am using the same bootable windows 10 installation thumb drive to do a clean install of windows 10. I've done it multiple times in recent days. However, suddenly when doing it again I get this error:

"your pc/device needs to be repaired. the boot configuration data does not contain valid information for an operating system"

Anyone know what could have happened, and how to resolve this? Not sure I can boot from the thumb drive and access any repair modes.

I do have a windows 10 SSD working, a second SSD blank, and the USB Windows installation thumb drive that seems to be working when I click on it.

Is there a way to install Windows 10 onto a clean drive on my PC that also has a working second drive on the same computer, with or without the thumb drive? Then I could remove the source disk and just be left with the new clean install disk as my PC disk. And cloning won't work as the new drive is smaller.

Thanks.

Solution
So you can boot to your primary SSD normaly but when you plug your USB in and trying to enter setup it fails .
If that's the case , that you can't even enter the setup menu , then you can try out the following .

• 1. Unplug any unnecessary devices ( mostly usb or even audio cables ) that could cause problem ( it happended to me for a short time causing other problems )
    2. Make a complete format ( not a quick format ) on the USB drive and make it bootable again with windows 10 in it .
    3. Try out another USB drive ( for any visitor this is the solution for this thread )

EDIT if you have MSI motheboard always try to use their own software to make a USB bootable

Zet12345

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
If you are just asking if it is possible to have two OSs devided by two SSDs , then the answer is yes .

Although , to give you a possible solution for the USB installation . I must know , when does this message come up . Does it happen before the setup loads or during the installation or else ?

Clean the drive before installing windows onto it.
You can do that by booting from windows installation media into command prompt and using diskpart command.
  • diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x
    clean
    exit
Clean command is data destructive. Don't clean the wrong disk.

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
When I boot, I get past the BIOS and then get that blue screen. Can't seem to boot in diagnostic or safe mode. I just want a fresh W10 drive alone in this PC, removing my current disk once the new 1 is up and running.

Thanks.

Zet12345

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Clean the drive before installing windows onto it.
You can do that by booting from windows installation media into command prompt and using diskpart command.

diskpart
list disk
select disk x
clean

Clean command is data destructive. Don't clean the wrong disk.

Although you can a always follow a safer method and plug in the SSD you want to install the W10 . Boot to your primary system and format the drive from the Disk Management . In this case you make sure that you format the right drive .

Also you can format the USB drive as well from the Disk Management and if you have windows 10 in .ISO format you can use a freeware such as rufus to easy make your USB bootable

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
So basically re-make my USB bootable drive? It was working fine yesterday. That has been the problem, booting from it. Before whether the new drive is formatted or not. That would not be the cause of my problem, right, the status of the drive to be installed?
Thanks.

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
<
Can you boot to your primary Windows 10 installation that used to work ?
>

I can boot with my current my drive, but no, can't boot from that thumb drive now, tho could before.

Zet12345

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
So you can boot to your primary SSD normaly but when you plug your USB in and trying to enter setup it fails .
If that's the case , that you can't even enter the setup menu , then you can try out the following .

• 1. Unplug any unnecessary devices ( mostly usb or even audio cables ) that could cause problem ( it happended to me for a short time causing other problems )
    2. Make a complete format ( not a quick format ) on the USB drive and make it bootable again with windows 10 in it .
    3. Try out another USB drive ( for any visitor this is the solution for this thread )

EDIT if you have MSI motheboard always try to use their own software to make a USB bootable

Solution

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
strange - just tried the drive in another computer, and the installation thumb drive does work in that 1. I tried the drive in 2 different USB ports in the computer I want to do a clean install in and it did not.

Zet12345

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
There is a slight chance that it could be a problem of compatibility for USB 3 and USB 2 ( even with backwards combatibility ) . Make sure that your USB drive in the right port

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Success! I created another bootable drive and it works. I created it on the computer I will be installing on. So my problem must have been either my original installation thumb drive got corrupted, or it matters which computer I make the thumb drive on. I would guess not the latter. Guess it got corrupted.

Thanks for all input.