Vega 56 Power Supply

ihatelag01

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
I`m planning on getting a Vega 56 in the following months.I currently have a 1050Ti which satisfies my needs in most scenarios,but I`d really like to take full advantage of my 1440p 144Hz Freesync monitor,(way overkill for my system but since I was upgrading from a 1280x1024 monitor and it was at a really nice price I went for it+the GTX 1050Ti has no problem in delivering those high framrates in CSGO and other eSports titles that I play).I`ve seen that Vega can be quite power hungry so my question is:would my Seasonic S12II-520 80+ Bronze suffice?(without overclocking the GPU).My system also consists of a Ryzen 5 1600 paired with the Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3?Also,as far as I`ve seen Vega 56 needs 2x8pin connectors,but at least on Gigabyte`s site it`s stated that their version should come with a 6 to 8 pin adapter,so I would assume that others would do the same,in which case,even if my PSU is capable enough of powering the GPU,would it be safe to use the adapter?

Firstly, that power supply won't suffice, probably. Vega 56 has a TDP of 210 W, so my recommendation would be definitely be a better power supply. firstly, more wattage - try around 600W, and also better efficiency, so as to save power as much as you can, and also have a reliable PSU. The S12II is reliable no doubt, but not high-end. For Vega, you definitely need high-end, especially when it comes to power supplies. The current power supply will run the card, no doubt, but you might be running a little too high of a risk. Honestly, my suggestion is to just get a 1070.

As for the adapter thing, you cannot be sure that all manufacturers will provide the adapter.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Your PSU will be "good enough" but won't have any overhead room. If you are not overclocking the CPU, it should be enough. The PSU should have the 2x 8-pin connectors.

ihatelag01

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016

1070 was my first choice initially but I thought Freesync would be a nice feature.If I can`t really stretch my budget I will probably go for it seeing how a decent 600-650W PSU+the Vega 56 will get me really close if not into 1080 price range,seeing how pricing where I live works,with taxes and all that(talking regular prices,exlcuding the current mining situation)

ihatelag01

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016

I`d be really glad if it did,but I`m pretty confident it only has a 6+2 and a 6 pin.
Edit:nevermind,I found an adapter that came with it in the box

king3pj

Distinguished

I've never seen Freesync in action but if it's as good as Gsync I would say it would be worth switching over to AMD for. I have a 1070 and I upgraded from a standard 1440p 60Hz monitor to a 1440p 144Hz Gsync monitor.

The upgrade to 144Hz was noticeable in games like Rocket League that my 1070 is able to run at a steady 144Hz but I think the addition of Gsync was even more noticeable.I can still tell the difference between a game running at 50-60 FPS and one running at 100+ FPS but Gsync makes everything feel smooth throughout that entire range.

I am someone who used to lower settings and turn Hairworks off in games like The Witcher 3 so I could get a perfect 60 FPS with Vsync enabled. Now, as long as I am above 50 FPS I usually just leave the settings maxed. That is one of the biggest differences for me.

The only exception to that is competitive games like Overwatch. I run this with Ultra settings so I can play at about 130 FPS instead of Epic settings at 90-100 FPS. I'm also someone who always used to turn Vsync off in competitive games to get rid of the extra input lag but I hate tearing. Gsync/Freesync solves that problem by completely removing the tearing without slowing you down.

For all of those reasons I think the Vega 56 would be a better choice than a 1070 since you already have a nice Freesync monitor. I probably would have went that route myself instead of the 1070 if the Vega was available a year ago when I made my purchase.

ihatelag01

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016

This would still be my go to option,but as I stated in a previous comment,if the prices are around what I expect them to be,and my PSU isn`t quite cutting it,I don`t think I would be willing to spend the equivalent of 600$ or possibly even more for the Vega 56+a decent higher wattage PSU..