Monitor/TV Turns on for 5 seconds then turns to black.

dziire

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2012
Hello,

So I've recently had issues with my TV, I noticed about 4 days ago it was starting to flicker so I knew this day was coming... I turned it on tonight to find the TV shows the source (HDMI) for about 3 seconds and then turns to a black screen.

So yeah as mentioned I'm using a 22" LCD TV as a display for my PC (not even worth mentioning the brand but just in case, some cheap UK one "Technika").

I was expecting it to die but was wondering if you guys had any fixes!

Edit/update: So I've just noticed that at a certain angle when my light hits the screen I can see the TV's menu REALLY faintly. So I assume something has failed but how come the image appears fine for 3 seconds then does this...?

Solution
Sounds like the backlighting for the LCD had died. Either the power for the LCD or the lights themselves. If you can see a faint image, then the video driver circuit is fine and the image is displaying, just not being backlight.

If you're not a techie guy who can take apart things and diagnose with a multimeter and stuff, then it's probably out of your reaches to fix, and any TV repair place is going to charge big $$ just to diagnose never mind fix, and with cheap brands, getting parts can be next to impossible.
Sounds like the backlighting for the LCD had died. Either the power for the LCD or the lights themselves. If you can see a faint image, then the video driver circuit is fine and the image is displaying, just not being backlight.

If you're not a techie guy who can take apart things and diagnose with a multimeter and stuff, then it's probably out of your reaches to fix, and any TV repair place is going to charge big $$ just to diagnose never mind fix, and with cheap brands, getting parts can be next to impossible.

Solution

dziire

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2012

Thanks for the reply, yeah not techie enough to fix it unfortunately. Sounds like a good excuse to finally buy that 1440p monitor!