Razer Developing Optical Keyboard Switches: Razer Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsatenstein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
I am not that interested in speed or switch contact, but in contact reliability and lack of bounce. And with N-KEY rollover support. For the latter, I need the switch software to detect a first key that is depressed while the second is arriving a few milliseconds later. At that time, both keys will be activated, but one came first. They must not be seen as "together". Ideally 3 key rollover detection would be desired.

The other requirement I have is "PC105 layout". My default keyboard is Canadian French with 105 keys. The physical layout is the same as the international USA and Latin keyboard layouts.

My 10 year old keyboard is showing wear for certain keys. From time to time, a keystroke is not registered. That missing keystroke means much time lost in proof reading.

I would also like washable keytops. Grandkids used the keyboard with their sticky jam/peanut coated fingers.

I will use a wired keyboard and later, if it proves practical, a wireless. I would also like to have my wireless mouse come with optical switches. I am after keyboard/mouse longevity and reliability

b00021253

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
XMIT already has a Hall effect switch keyboard for sale.
It was in a group buy period earlier this year.

samkarmaoakley

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
Bloodytech has been doing this for years, razer isn't exactly an innovator in this field. This literally copied the shittiest switches for gaming (blues) and told everyone they are razer green switches and that they are amazing for gaming.

I think the major advantage to optical switches is the analog. I'm not sure the depiction in the article is actually capable of that. Then of course the implementation has to make some sense. Wooting's, for example, only has an analog range of a millimeter or two. Which may result in some really fine surgeons down the line to have that level of consistent dexterity. It would be nice to see the full 4.5mm of travel be analog capable.

At first your comment about no solder didn't make any sense but I could see where they might be able to decouple the photo diode and receiver from the mechanical spring-back mechanism. I think that is of low desirability. Who is going to buy 105 switches and spend the time replacing the switches or going back and forth because they want to write a novel today and game tomorrow. It'd be far more practical to buy a second keyboard if that's really where you want to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.