Need to Clear Browsing History Every Few Days

mwryder55

Distinguished
Since the latest "upgrade" to the site I have to clear my browsing history every few days to be able to access the site. I get an error 500 when trying to access the site or reload a page until I clear the history, at which time it works correctly for another few days.
What is causing this behavior and is there any way to prevent it in the future?
I am using the latest version of Opera on Windows 10 with all the latest updates if it makes any difference.

neieus

Distinguished
The first question you need to ask yourself is does this happen when you use other browsers such as Chrome, Firefox or IE? If it doesn't then there is something wrong with Opera if it does then there is possibly something wrong with the coding on the site.

This happened to me as well for like 3 days after the upgrade to the site.

The glitch would happen in firefox mainly.

I'd switch to chrome if i wanted to view the site

Either the site changed something on their end or my browser updated.

I'd be more inclined to believe cookies were the cause due to this ultra secure and buggy login system trying to maintain security.

In any case, this hasn't happened since for me, even using firefox.

mwryder55

Distinguished
In my case it is now a daily ordeal. I had to clear the history yesterday and 24 hours later have to do it again. Since the problem exists in two totally different browsers it has to be a site problem.
Maybe they are coding everything for Chrome.

mwryder55

Distinguished

This problem occurs on both Opera and Firefox. The time between problems is now about 24 hours.
I usually keep the page open in a tab and refresh from time to time. After about 24 hours I get the error 500 and have to clear the history or move to another browser.

mwryder55

Distinguished
I cleared just the Tom's Hardware cookies the last time it did this to me and that allowed the page to load correctly. It appears that the problem is related to the cookies being set by the site. Not sure if they are configured for one browser's behavior which is not the same as that with other browsers.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Thanks for reporting this bug. We are aware of this issue. It is a cookie mismatch issue that is causing the bug. Instead of clearing your browser history, I would recommend manually clearing your cookies for Tom's Hardware.

To delete your cookies in Opera

Click Settings > Preferences > Advanced > Cookies and select Manage cookies
Delete all domains associated with Tom's Hardware

To delete your cookies in Firefox

Click the menu button and choose Options.
Select the Privacy panel.
Set Firefox will: to Use custom settings for history.
2015-05-09-05-27-21-fb1f0d.png

Click Show Cookies.... The Cookies window will appear.
2015-05-10-03-48-55-0de257.png

In the Search: field, type the name of the site whose cookies you want to remove. The cookies that match your search will be displayed.
Select the cookie(s) in the list to remove and click Remove Selected.
2015-05-10-03-49-53-2914cd.png

Click Close to close the Cookies window. Close the about:preferences page.