DVI-D to DVI-D Cable or DVI-D to HDMI Cable? [+Extra Questions]

anilbudak

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Hello,
My monitor is kinda old. There are 2 display outputs and it is VGA and DVI-D (Dual Link). I have just bought "EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB BLACK EDITION". On that card there are "1x HDMI, 3x DisplayPort and 1 DVI-D (Dual Link)". I couldn't find any "DVI-D to DVI-D" cable in my town but i can buy it from internet sites. I have some questions:

1) Which one should i buy? "DVI-D to DVI-D" cable or "DVI-D to HDMI". Which performs better and need long time to die. I'm very confused. I searched at different forums. Some of you guys got lots of problem with "DVI-D to HDMI" cable and said go buy "DVI to DVI" cable. I just don't know.

2) I used VGA cable with my old HD 7570 card long time. My monitor is 75Hz but i couldn't choose 75Hz from 60Hz. I even couldn't see any other options but 60Hz. With "DVI-D to DVI-D" cable or "DVI-D to HDMI" cable is it gonna be fixed?

3) I found a "DVI-D to HDMI" cable but HDMI one is version 1.3 (or 1.4). My GPU has 2.0b HDMI. Can i put 1.3 HDMI cable into the HDMI 2.0b port?

3) What should I take care of when buying display cable?

Just buy a standard Dual-Link DVI cable. DVI-D only refers to the port (meaning it can take standard DVI cables, as opposed to DVI-I ports which can take DVI cables and VGA adapters). You don't need to look specifically for a "DVI-D cable".

HDMI cables/adapters do not have versions, and all HDMI devices are compatible regardless of version anyway. There is no advantage to using a DVI to HDMI adapter though, just use a Dual-Link DVI cable.

anilbudak

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
@Glenwig

You are right but HDMI to DVI cables are cheaper and HDMI is easier to connect and disconnect from gadgets. Also maybe next series GPUs won't have DVI-D port. If HDMI to DVI-D cables have any issue or performance loss. Then i'll buy DVI cable. Also i wonder how many hertz does these cables support?