Keyboard problem on a HP Envy notebook

TheDemoniusX

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Hey fellas!
I hope this is the right place for this topic (if not move it where it needs to go). My wife has a HP Envy m7 laptop. The only specs I am aware of is it has a Intel Core i7 and 16 gb of ram. I don't use her laptop but preform maintenance on it when something goes wrong,but this one has me horribly frustrated!

the other day my wife booted up her laptop and noticed her FN key wasn't working. So being the novice she tends to be on PCS she tried troubleshooting it (Probably not a good idea ha,ha) Now,my wife is pretty knowledgeable with computing but not in the advanced sense. The step she took was "Uninstall and Reinstall" the keyboard under "Device Manager" then she rebooted the machine. Upon bootup the keyboard reads as a standard PS/2 keyboard,the FN keys STILL don't work and the backlight won't shut off! Frustrating! The only thing I tried doing was Disabling the "Action Center" in the bios because I read that helped a few people out there experiencing the same problem. However in this instance it didn't do nothing.

So I am at a stand still. my wife won't let me nuke windows 10 because that would involve reinstalling things and setting up her pc in a way that fits her computing again. So.. I ask you fine folks here, is there anything else I can do to bring her keyboard back to functioning like it did when we got her PC without having to nuke it. I HEAVY GOOGLED this problem and found nothing. HP techs are kinda dummies but at least they try to help,can't fault them there. I appreciate anyone who can help settle this frustrating issue! thank you!!

TheDemoniusX

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I haven't tried a clean boot but I'll try just to see if there is a change in function, but as for the second question I have tried the HP support assist and there are no known new keyboard drivers. Which I find odd. It's as if Windows drivers overrides 3rd parties. I'll report back later with my findings.

Colif

Win 11 Master
HP links are leading to me to IBM which is just odd. Normally its not this hard to get info on model, though there are many called envy m7

Did laptop come with win 7 or 8?

it might be the drivers are too old to install on win 10 now. Even though they worked perfectly fine before,since last years version of windows 10 was released, its not allowed the installation of drivers that are not signed by Microsoft to work with win 10. It appears it lets you install them but it will not run them

what shows in settings/Bluetooth and other devices? it should show what choices you have under Mouse, keyboard and pen

itsallpoo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2014
Windows ten anniversary edition has f*d up lots of people's keyboards. Go into accessibility settings in control panel, click on the keyboard icon and turn off I think it's called "filter keys" if it's on that is. Mine was not on but I was having horrible keyboard issues and even an os reinstall didn't fix it. I "think" I've fixed it in my case I needed a chipset driver update and the motherboard maker didn't have it on their support page I had to find it off the chipset maker site, in my case AMD for the 990FX chipset. I am crossing all appendages that this is the final fix it did this to me a few weeks ago, I thought I'd fixed it but the issue returned.

TheDemoniusX

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Thanks for your suggestions and I should have access to the PC as she's at her moms today and likes to be there with the Lappy and printer to print out patterns for knitting (old people :p) as for the question of what windows it came with it is 10 and was ready to install out of the box. We bought this machine over a year ago at BB. Never had a problem until now but tomorrow I'll be sure to try out these suggestions. thanks again!

TheDemoniusX

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
sorry that I didn't reply sooner. Life gets in the way. Anyhow I did all you guys asked and suggested (along with more research) nothing seemed to have worked,but get this, My cat "Taz" layed on the laptop keys and fell asleep (I wasn't aware because I was doing some weekend chores amongst other things) then.... When I noticed he was there and told him to get off the keys...forgetting the FN keys did not work, I pressed F2 (or F3...forgot) to turn the keys off because LEDs irritate my retinas and...the key leds turned off and now The function keys started working with no issue! WTBH did my cat do to make it work? I am glad it works now but seriously, my fat furball fixed the issue! Pretty bizarre eh?

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is a fix I can't really suggest as a solution, as cats can also cause weird keyboard errors too. 4 feet touching keyboard = they can do key combos we can only dream of. There are hidden commands on keyboards that are only known by a select few... seems many of them are cats. You can somehow turn off all the number keys or set keyboard so only numbers do work. Be thankful you didn't get one of those.

Glad your cat fixed it :)

TheDemoniusX

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I am grateful that nothing worse happened but instead of breaking it he's fixed it. I gave him some treats for helping his dad out. I just don't know HOW he did it all he did was flipping lay on the keyboard. Strangest fix I've encountered. the FN keys work again! I still appreciate you guys, this is my favorite place to come to when having a problem and I can't fix it myself.