Can i put HDMI 1.3 cable to 2.0b HDMI port?

anilbudak

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
There are lots of HDMI versions. Can i put 1.3 HDMI to 2.0b GPU's port? How many Hertz supports this HDMI 1.3 cable? And is it worth to buy 2.0b cable while i have 1.3 cable. (I have Gtx 1070 and 1080p 75Hz monitör)

Solution
1.3 HDMI to 2.0b GPU's port?
yes

How many Hertz supports this HDMI 1.3 cable?
That answer depends on the resolution you use/select.
4k = 30Hz
1440 = 60Hz
1080 = 120Hz

"And is it worth to buy 2.0b cable while i have 1.3 cable"
No, because your cable is more capable than your monitor.

And for the other people that answered, perhaps you should do more reading...
"HDMI 1.3 defines two cable categories: Category 1-certified cables, which have been tested at 74.5 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 720p60 and 1080i60), and Category 2-certified cables, which have been tested at 340 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 1080p60 and 2160p30)."

"As of the HDMI 1.4 specification, the following cable types are defined for HDMI...
HDMI 2.0 is not the cable but the connection. Your should not have to replace your old cable. You may have issues running higher fps than 60hz. A lot of that pends on the particular hardware. Your best option is to use display port.

Here is an article about HDMI 2.0

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-0-what-you-need-to-know/

HDMI cables don't have versions, there is no such thing as an "HDMI 1.3 cable".

All HDMI cables are compatible with all HDMI devices of any version, as I said in your other thread.

derekanhorn

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
1.3 HDMI to 2.0b GPU's port?
yes

How many Hertz supports this HDMI 1.3 cable?
That answer depends on the resolution you use/select.
4k = 30Hz
1440 = 60Hz
1080 = 120Hz

"And is it worth to buy 2.0b cable while i have 1.3 cable"
No, because your cable is more capable than your monitor.

And for the other people that answered, perhaps you should do more reading...
"HDMI 1.3 defines two cable categories: Category 1-certified cables, which have been tested at 74.5 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 720p60 and 1080i60), and Category 2-certified cables, which have been tested at 340 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 1080p60 and 2160p30)."

"As of the HDMI 1.4 specification, the following cable types are defined for HDMI in general:[75][76]

Standard HDMI Cable – up to 1080i and 720p
Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet
Standard Automotive HDMI Cable
High Speed HDMI Cable – 1080p, 4K 30 Hz, 3D and deep color
High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet"

"A third category of cable was introduced in October 2015 to certify that cables work at the 18 Gbit/s maximum bandwidth of the HDMI 2.0 specification.[77] This category tests cables at 600 MHz (2160p60 resolution), certifying them as Premium High Speed. In addition to expanding the set of cable testing requirements, the certification program introduces an EMI test to ensure cables minimize interference with wireless signals. These cables are marked with an anti-counterfeiting authentication label and are defined as:[78]

Premium High Speed HDMI Cable – 4K 60 Hz, Rec. 2020, and HDR
Premium High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet"

Unfortunately not all HDMI cables were created equal.

Solution
@derekanhorn

Yes, there are Category 1 and Category 2 cables which handle different amounts of bandwidth. I did not say all HDMI cables were the same, I said HDMI cables do not have versions, there is no such thing as an "HDMI 1.3 cable". In fact advertising an HDMI cable as "version 1.3" or "version 1.4" has been explicitly banned by HDMI Licensing. Bad wording on my part though if I made it sound like I was saying all HDMI cables are the same.

Realistically Standard Speed HDMI cables aren't manufactured, all cables are High Speed (or more) so can all handle at least 1080p 75 Hz easily, so I didn't want to overcomplicate things with a paragraph of details that ultimately amounts to "but all of this is irrelevant for you".

@OP bottom line, any HDMI cable will work fine for you, and that's that.