PSU from existing system been used to feed pci-e power on other gpu system

chrysalis

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
Ok so I have got some parts to build a mini mining rig.

Quick run down

z270 board (overkill in this case but the lower spec'd boards seems overpriced and this board at a future date could be used if I upgrade my main rig to skylake or kabylake). the board has 2 x16 slots although I know the second will run at 4x which is fine.
Pentium g4400 cpu.
4 gig ddr4 ram. (wow ram is expensive per gig now).
2 zotac gtx 1070 minis.
Wait for it .... evga single rail 500 watt psu yes for 2 1070s.

Now from testing on my main rig which has a 1070 I can mine using 70 watts of power on the gpu, meaning 500 watts should be perfectly fine, however I suppose there is a risk of power fluctuations as my UPS is reading averaged out power over a few seconds rather than real time in terms of milliseconds readings.

This board is going to be sitting on top of my spare PC which I use to run vmware esxi, that pc has a 500 watt psu but only has a gtx 1030 inside it, which uses a pittance of power, doesnt even have a external power cable socket.

Assuming the cable reaches (dont know yet), is it practical to feed a pcie psu cable from the other pc's psu to one of the 1070s meaning the new 500 watt is only powering one gpu, if it is practical should I power down the other system when plugging it in and do I have a need to worry about the order systems are powered on. My thinking is that a gpu will not be turned on until the pci-e motherboard socket sends the appropriate signal so in theory a external psu cable plugged in from another psu turned on shouldnt send any power, it would wait until the gpu requests it, but I may be wrong.

Thoughts or is this crazier than using one 500 watt psu for 2 1070s :)

TRENDING THREADS