Screen goes black and fan goes fast?

MisterBilbo

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Hi,

this has never happened before but however it has happened only three times now. I hope it doesn't happen again. The first time it happened I was playing CS:GO, then second time CS:GO again, the third time BF4.. In the middle of the game the screen turned black and the fan , which I don't know which fan it went 100% so I am only guessing it's my graphics cards fans. I have no idea why this happened but as I was reading some people say it's the graphics card that spikes its power, stressing the PSU and make it crash. I don't believe it's that though.

Specs: (I do not have anything overclocked)

CPU: i7 6800k
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 16GB
PSU: EVGA 850 G2

I'm pretty sure the PSU can handle the graphics card and such no? So what was the issue? Any clue? I will keep playing games, because this has never happened before and now all of a sudden.. Checked the cables, it's neatly inserted.

EDIT: The Service KMSELDI service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). **What does this mean? Maybe this is the source of the crash.

Regards, MrBilbo.

Sounds like the video card isn't get enough power or lose of power. Try reseating the video card by pulling it out and press it back into the PCIE slot. This makes sure the card is getting a good PCIE connection. Next unplug the 6 pin PCIE power plug and try another from the PSU. Test for a while and see if it helps.

MisterBilbo

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
@elbert, I will try that if it were to happen again. Thanks

@salerhino, well it can't be. It is 2-3 weeks old and hasn't been adjusted that much. I hope it's not though.

salerhino

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016

Why not?
Ever heard of D.O.A. aka Dead On Arrival - that component(s) didn't work for even 1 day and it is not working.
I would check it anyway.

MisterBilbo

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

I just hope that's not the case.

Sure but whats causing the the issue. Check the PCIE by reseating the video card to see if the issue is fixed. Some cards fans only kick on at 60c tho so which NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB is yours? Let me know the exact model so we can look up. Most MSI cards have the below 60c turn off the fans Zero Frozr-Stay.
7750_24_msi-geforce-gtx-1070-gaming-8g-silent-major-oc-headroom.png

MisterBilbo

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

Mine doesn't look anything like that. I have three fans, and I'm pretty sure it's ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1060 OC.
I have a software from Asus ROG which is for the RGB lights. So it is that model.

PS: I opened msi afterburner and saw that RPM was at 0 even when playing games so I decided to set it to "auto" and it seems like it's running at "40% fan speed". Just played csgo without any crash. Might have been the fan speed? 0 RM = High temperature = crash?