Access denied? But - I am the admin..?

Ensign Scrulu

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Every so often when attempting to move (mainly system files I suppose, but really all kinds) I get 'Access denied' error messages with the qualification 'You need permission from the sysadmin to do this' or somesuch. (Most times I can 'click through' and force the issue but not always).
I am the admin...I installed the OS and there is only one user account - mine:

Admin_Duck.jpg
What can be done about this foolishness and Microsoft meddlesomeness? It's kind of tiresome.
Thank you.

misteriosly

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
Well you can always lower the UAC settings, but you don't want to.
Simply click the do it as administrator option and continue.
Also if the mentioned system files are currently in use by a service/program, you wont be able to move them.

Edit: sometimes, you may need to start the file browser with "run as administrator" option, that would make you skip a lot of the continue as admin prompts.
Also it would sometimes enable you to move files, which previously wouldn't even prompt to be moved as administrator.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You aren't the only user. TrustedInstaller and System are also users, they have to have these permissions for windows 10 to work. if you move system files, you run risk of something not working in the future. You don't have access to everything as you don't need it, take permissions off wrong parts of windows and updates won't work or windows might not even start

Ensign Scrulu

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013

Thank you misteriosly. Oh, the UAC is turned all the way down and has been since I got this machine. It's one of the first things I do when e.g. reinstalling. The UAC just gets in the way I think. Yes, the 'Run as admin' is a good idea, although no cure-all.