Screen Tearing with Identical Monitors

Ben Lewis

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
Hi there,
A couple of months ago I got a second monitor, it was not the same as the first monitor, and I was having bad tearing all the time, really bad tearing. So I decided to remove it, a couple days ago I got a second monitor identical to the first, the ASUS VC239H. And everything was fine until now, when i'm getting really bad tearing even on the desktop, screen flipping and turning and blacking out for a couple seconds. The refresh rate is exactly the same on both monitors, its set to 60Hz. I have no idea why this is happening!

PC Specs:
I5 6600K
Gtx 1060 6gb
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3

Thanks for the help!

Solution
ok, if it's vertical and horizontal and blacking out every so often, then it's starting to sound like a bad connection somewhere

we know the monitors are ok as the problem is following the DP adapter connection

so, it's sounding like it's either a bad port on the GPU, or possibly a bad DP adapter

Ben Lewis

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

My monitors are both connected to a HDMI, then one of the HDMI is plugged into the GPU, and the other goes into a HDMI to DP adaptor then into my GPU, the screen tearing only happens on the monitor that is going through the adaptor. My GPU only has 1 HDMI port and one DP port, so that is why I need the adaptor. It also has a DVI port, but I tend to leave that one alone XD.

Ben Lewis

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

No, the problem doesn't occur when I try that...

Ben Lewis

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

It still has the issue ;/

Ben Lewis

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

Nope. The one thats plugged into the DP adaptor always has the screen tearing, it just swaps the monitor with screen tearing...
Thanks though :/

Ben Lewis

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

No difference....

blockhead78

Distinguished
hmmm can't see any reports of that type of issue when using that specific adapter and it seems to get decent reviews

if it's not that, then it could be a bad DP connection on the GPU, but you'd need a DP capable monitor to test that (ie. connect DP without an adapter)

Just in case, do a DDU driver wipe and re-install latest drivers

alternatively, you could get a dual link dvi cable instead

btw, which version of windows are you running?

Ben Lewis

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

I don't really want to buy a DP cable, but if there is no other fix I will, and I'm running windows 10. I'm a good 51% sure its to do with my PC not the connection or monitors, don't ask why, because I don't know XD

Ben Lewis

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

I've reinstalled the drivers via device manager, and the tearing keeps happening, the tearing is Horizontal and Vertical, it also blacks out every 10 seconds or so for 5 seconds. I recorded the screen using Shadowplay, and the screen tearing did not show on that, which means its not from the computer as it would of caught it... Am i right in saying that?

blockhead78

Distinguished
ok, if it's vertical and horizontal and blacking out every so often, then it's starting to sound like a bad connection somewhere

we know the monitors are ok as the problem is following the DP adapter connection

so, it's sounding like it's either a bad port on the GPU, or possibly a bad DP adapter

Solution

Ben Lewis

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

Thank you, I'm getting a new GPU tomorrow, and ill order a new DP adaptor, so should be good! :D