Full-screen kills off 2nd monitor until reboot

TeoDaTank

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
Unsure where this goes, but it's a frustrating issue I've dealt with for awhile. I believe it -might- be Dx11 based, but can't prove it. My only reason for that estimation is that when I was playing FFXIV, if I disabled DX11, I could play Full Screen.

However, now I notice NES Emulators, and anything that goes dedicated full screen does it. My main monitor is 1440p, second is 1080 which I think also might contribute, but essentially when you go full-screen the 2nd monitor turns off: normal behavior in some poorly optimized full-screen games/games not built for it.

However, when exiting full screen the 2nd screen used to come back on. Currently it is impossible for me to get it to come back on through any method I could think to to try - I have to reboot.

Does anyone have any familiarity with this issue, or a fix?

I've tried emulating it on my wifes PC but to no avail, which makes me think it's limited.

Our -only- PC difference is I have 2 GTX-1080 Tis, and she has a singular 1080.

Solution

Hello again TeoDaTank

Please try configuring the screen resolution on your Windows to the maximum supported specs of the second monitor and then check if the issue is resolved.

Please report back for further assistance.

Cheers!!
Hello TeoDaTank

Can you please confirm you have updated the graphics driver to its latest version?

Also, the issue might be due to unsupported screen resolution. Before switching to the full-screen mode, please ensure that the resolution doesn't exceed the maximum range of the monitor with the lesser resolution, 1080p in your case.

What I mean is, please configure the game's display settings to 1080p before entering into full-screen mode and see if it helps.

Please report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

TeoDaTank

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
Hello vivek,

Sure - My main resolution is 1440P which is what the game runs at. The drivers are at the latest. And as I mentioned, I am actually okay with the 2nd monitor going black -during- full screen. I'm used to that happening. It's the fact that it NEVER(pre reboot) turns back on that I am struggling to fix.

Hello again TeoDaTank

Please try configuring the screen resolution on your Windows to the maximum supported specs of the second monitor and then check if the issue is resolved.

Please report back for further assistance.

Cheers!!

Solution