Display goes off while gaming!

AronnoNeel

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
I bought a new gtx 1050ti yesterday. Installed the latest nvidia driver. But when I try to play games specially GTAV, after some minutes of gameplay, my monitor turns off. I can see my PC running properly and can also hear the game running. If I unplug the monitor and plug it again then my monitor turns on for a few seconds and then goes off again. If I somehow manage to close the game, then the monitor turns on again. I can do other stuff like browsing and watching movies and stuff.
My system configuration:

Processor: Intel core i5 2400 @3.1ghz
Graphics: nvidia gtx 1050ti 4gb
HDD: 1TB
PSU: Toughpower 850W Gold
RAM: 8gb
Monitor: Phillips 196V 19.5 inches 1366x768 resolution

My monitor doesn't have a HDMI or DVI output, so I use a VGA-HDMI converter to plug my monitor to my gpu.

What is causing this black screen to occur? How can I solve this?

AronnoNeel

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
The converter I use is not a branded one. I doubt that the new card is the problem. Before buying this card, I had a r9 390. When I was using it, the display would give no signal and my pc used to froze. Later it was found out that my card was the problem. But in the case of 1050ti, whenever my display shows no signal, I can still hear the game running and also hear the movement of the player, which means PC works fine.
Point to be noted is that I also own an AMD 6570 2gb ddr3 gfx card. That one has a vga output so I don't need to use any converter. The monitor works fine with this one.
I think the problem lies within the converter or maybe the resolution of my monitor. Maybe buying a monitor with HDMI output should fix the problem?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. If funds allow, you definitely need to get a monitor that uses a digital input. Old analog (VGA) requires that the native digital signal from the card has to be converted to analog, then at the monitor (which I assume is digital) the signal has to be once again converted from analog back to digital. Each conversion causes signal loss.

If your gfx card has a DVI-I output, you wouldn't need the converter. DVI-I has analog along with digital present, unlike HDMI.

AronnoNeel

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
Another important point is that the signal loss happens only when I play graphics intensive games. Also when I did graphics stress test using Furmark, the signal loss happened again.

If I be precise, then I must say that my monitor actually blackens out. It doesn't say 'No Signal'. It just goes black.

AronnoNeel

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
I have the Zotac 1050ti mini 4gb edition. It has HDMI and DVI input. I also bought a new monitor yesterday which has HDMI and VGA input. At first, i used my vga-hdmi converter to connect the monitor to my gpu. The screen blacked out again. Then i bought a HDMI cable and plugged it in to my monitor-gpu. I haven't encountered that black screen problem since. However, I still want to keep it under observation for a few weeks.