GPU in check in luggage or carry on?

Phak Hee

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
I'm currenty in Hong Kong, going back to the Netherlands in a few days. I was wondering if I could bring my GTX 1070 + original packaging in my hand carry, because I don't want to risk damaging it with check in luggage. If I'm going to end up putting it in check in luggage, I will wrap the box with thick clothing, so I'll know it's safe and won't damage in any way.

But I'm still deciding on what I should do, because both options have their positives and negatives. Carry on luggage is more likely to get questioned then a gpu wrapped with alot of clothing.

So, can someone help? Btw, I'm flying with British Airways, so I'll need to fly to England first and then to the Netherlands, so double security checks. I'm currently leaning more towards putting my GPU in the check in luggage, I trust the clothing wrapping method alot.

Solution
From my perspective the checked in luggage will cause you the least amount of hassle, as a video card going through carry on basically guarantees that you will get the full security screening. The only minus with the check in luggage is the chance that it can get lost. I would normally check it in and pay for additional insurance on it, since it isn't much extra and it makes me feel better.

wildfire707

Distinguished
From my perspective the checked in luggage will cause you the least amount of hassle, as a video card going through carry on basically guarantees that you will get the full security screening. The only minus with the check in luggage is the chance that it can get lost. I would normally check it in and pay for additional insurance on it, since it isn't much extra and it makes me feel better.

Solution