Computer has HDMI and VGA, monitors have DisplayPort and VGA, can I get a dual monitor set-up at all?

DustinKU

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
So I have a Dell Inspiron computer I am trying to set up at work and I need to get two monitors on it, but the computer only comes with a VGA and HDMI port. My Dell monitors do not have HDMI, only DisplayPort in addition to the VGA and DVI ports. It's a weird situation as usually the monitor is the one with the HDMI port and the computer is the one with the DisplayPort.

I can obviously hook one monitor up fine with just VGA, but the question is would I be able to connect the second monitor to the computer using a DisplayPort to HDMI cable? Would this even work? I know HDMI monitors can connect to DisplayPort computers with an HDMI to DisplayPort converter, but I didn't think it worked the other way.

HDMI and DVI talk the same language upto 1920 x 1200 @ 60hz. After that HDMI uses a higher link speed to compensate for its single link design.

If your monitor is 1920 x 1200 or lower, a passive HDMI to DVI cable is what you want. These passive cables work in either direction so you can use an HDMI port to run a DVI monitor or a DVI port to run an HDMI monitor

Please note a monitor connected by VGA(d-sub) will NOT work or may be run at a lower resolution with some HD video content(bluray for instance) due to a lack of copy protection. For day to day stuff this does not matter.

DustinKU

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Awesome, thanks for the responses, not sure why I didn't think of the VGA/DVI adapters instead of making DisplayPort to HDMI work.

Watch adapters to and from VGA(in case you want to run them both on VGA. not ideal anyway since digital should look better than analog and has the mentioned copy protection required for some HD video viewing).

You require a DVI-I port(DVI-D lacks the pins for passive VGA over DVI) for that and they are not always wired in.

Active adapters can work, but cost more.

So VGA to VGA for one and HDMI to DVI for the other. Please check your notebook manual to ensure you can run that many screens at once as well.

TRENDING THREADS