Stopcodes "Memory Management" "IRQL less or not equal" and more

kingmanpb

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Just swapped out hardware 2 days ago and my pc was running fine, then i got some critical errors while gaming, and thus began the endless loop of stopcode errors. Some where spaceport.sys errors, some Memory management stopcodes, IRQL Less or Not Equal, Page Fault in Non paged area.

My hardware is
i5-6600k
ASRock B250M Pro4 (I swapped it for a Supermicro C7Z170-OCE then got the error and have since swapped back to the ASRock board)
1x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400MHz
GEForce GTX 1060 (ASUS ROG Strix 6gb)

Solution
Possibly, all the errors are data errors or that MCE that could be a driver. It started pretty quick from what you say.

i don't know if its worth putting in old motherboard, installing win 10 on hdd, put ssd back in and run diskpart clean (see below) on the ssd and once its blank, you could try the install again on the supermicro. I would reset bios to defaults, it should let you boot off USB since it must have the 1st time you installed.

If you can get win 10 onto ssd, I would go to supermicro web site for board and make sure you have latest drivers as if it wasn't the motherboard causing this, it was the drivers.

How to CLean (wipe) SSD:
1. Boot from installer, on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install. and go...

Colif

Win 11 Master
spaceport.sys is a storage space driver

Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

Did you fresh install win 10 on the new motherboard? Loading a misbehaving windows onto a new motherboard will just recreate the errors as even more drivers are wrong for the hardware

Those errors can either be all drivers or your ram, can you download memtest86 and use it to make a bootable USB. Test your stick for a few runs, if you get any errors (anything over 0) then you have found the cause of your problem.

kingmanpb

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
If I can not get to the desktop to open the control panel how would I go about creating this dump file?

I did fresh install of windows on the new motherboard, completely wiping my SSD i had originally installed on and reinstalling all the windows files. I didn't have any errors with the old motherboard, and everything seemed to be working fine the day I installed the new motherboard. The day after was when i ran into problems.

Colif

Win 11 Master
OK, didn't realise you couldn't get into windows.

Boot PC using the installer you have
on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options (this might not be here)
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

if you can get into safe mode, and since its only a 2 day old install,
open file explorer
go to c:\windows
in the view tab at top, choose show hidden files
now in the folder, find Memory.dmp and copy that onto a USB (other than installer one)
on another PC, upload the memory.dmp file to a file sharing web site and share link here

If startup options isn't there, try system restore.

This is only a bandage, we need to work out what is causing the bsod. If system restore gets you into windows, follow steps above to copy memory.dmp and show us'

Did you go to web site of the motherboard and check you had latest drivers? you should install APP Shop ver:1.0.31 as it will check your board and drivers, and offer updates. You find it on: http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B250M%20Pro4/index.asp#osW1064

kingmanpb

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
I have tried booting using the USB key with my windows installation media on it and it wont boot using that as well. It does display a post message without any boot media loaded on the pc, I don't know if i have tried booting using the USB on the ASRock board though, I can try that when I get home just to check and see. I know that it wouldn't do it when I had the SuperMicro installed. I know that I HAD the latest drivers for the ASRock B250 but now that I wiped the drive and reinstalled using a different board I am not sure.

kingmanpb

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Sorry, I'm sure it is hard to follow. I do have the Asrock board back in the machine, that is what is currently installed. Should I reinstall the SuperMicro board and troubleshoot using that since that is what gave me the BSOD originally?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if the drivers on install match the Supermicro board, and it is your new board, then yes, put the new board in. The install isn't going to work well with Asrock board and Supermicro drivers

When you have the new board in, we can try to get you into advanced startup recovery (this is the menus I mentioned above)

One way that might work in when PC starts to load, and shows initial windows screen, press the reset button on case. Let it try to start and reset it a few times and it should load auto repair. Once this completes, it should offer advanced options. Pick them and on the next window
you can choose Troubleshoot/advanced options and see if the 2 menus I mention above are there, or
choose Use a Device
put USB into PC and it should show on this page. Choose it and PC will boot from USB
then follow steps above

(Sometimes the Use a device menu isn't there, its why both methods lead to same place. Trying menus from different directions might make a difference)

kingmanpb

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
So I swapped the motherboard back to the supermicro and it won't boot to USB nor will it run auto repair. It is now giving me a system check exception stopcodes. I really can't do anything with the entire system itself.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you disabled Secure boot? on page 4-62 of your manual it shows the options: https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/Z170/MNL-1828.pdf

only other page I found was 4-39 that mentions quiet boot but i think that just hides the post commands

Do you have a hdd or ssd? If you have a hdd then you could run http://www.dban.org/ on it, wipe it and reinstall.

Since PC worked fine before you swapped motherboard, there is only likely to be 2 causes... bad drivers or a bad motherboard.

is the ram compatible with the new motherboard?

kingmanpb

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017

I haven't disabled that and tried to run it yet. (had to leave yesterday unexpectedly and didn't have a chance). As for the ram, the only information i can find, both on the manufacturer and retailer websites is that the board supports "Up to 3300MHz DDR4 ram" Mine is DDR4-2133 so I honestly don't know if it is or not. I can't find any additional information. Now, I will say that reinstalling the board yesterday i realized that i populated the wrong DIMM slot with the original installation. I guess in my new hardware excitement i neglected to read the small message next to the DIMMs that said to populate certain colors first. I'm wondering if that could be the prime culprit.That and maybe 2133 isn't compatible. Also, I assume you mean what is windows installed on, SSD or HDD? I have an SSD with my windows installation.

kingmanpb

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
I do have secure boot disabled and still not booting. Machine check exception stopcode is now popping up. My ssd is also now not being recognized in the bios.

Edit: Getting a lot of different stopcodes now. System Service Exception, System Thread Exception not handled, page fault in a non paged area, system check exception. My SsD is now showing in bios but HDD isn't. Sometimes the BSOD pops up with nothing but the frowny face. Is there anyway for me to reinstall windows or drivers if I can't get it to boot to installation media or safe mode?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know if this will help

FIXED BOOT ORDER Priorities
This option prioritizes the order of bootable devices from which the system will boot. Choose an entry from top to bottom to select devices.
Page 4-68 of manual

its a catch 22, you need to be able to boot off a USB or get into auto repair to be able to either boot off the USB or run a system reset - reset isn't ideal but it might get us further. Do you have a hdd that you could temporarily install win 10 onto?

Machine check exception could point at hardware but you can get those from drivers as well.

kingmanpb

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
After reading and re-reading the manual, I believe i still have the ram module in the wrong dimm slot. As soon as I get home from work I'm going to move it and try again. I was considering uninstalling my graphics card and using the onboard graphics for the i5, but I'm not sure that will do any good. "Drivers IRQL Less or Not Equal" was a new stopcode i got yesterday, kind of pointed a big finger at what might be the problem.

kingmanpb

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017

I have an SSD and an HDD, but Windows is installed on the SSD currently. I have other programs and applications on the HDD but i could load windows on it if i needed to. I just dont think i can use the machine i have to do so. I don't have a backup computer and the 2 drives i have are both in the computer i am having problems with.

kingmanpb

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Tried the correct ram slot, disconnected the graphics card and still not having any luck. I got a new stopcode Kernel something I only saw it once and don't remember the whole message.

Edit: The machine is now periodically freezing during the boot. Long pauses on the screen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Only reason i suggested hdd is if you can get win 10 installed on it, and without all these errors, it at least shows motherboard isn't causing them. But if you cannot afford to lose whats on hdd, I am not sure what to suggest. If it let you boot off a USB you could make a ubuntu live USB and boot off it to rescue files off the HDD

If you decide to try hdd, remove ssd or installer will not work.

If you installed onto hdd, you could then run diskpart clean on the ssd and you can try to install win 10 on it again.

slow boot can mean hardware, or drivers. Windows 10 is sick, its not going to jump to running

kingmanpb

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
I only use the hdd for game files so anything on it can be replaced. I have tried unplugging the ssd from the motherboard and running the USB installation media to reinstall windows on it and I still can't get the USB to boot.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So we can't get it to boot off USB on 2 motherboards... talk about unlucky. i will see if anyone else has any smart ideas.

It shouldn't be this hard.

Even if you swapped the motherboards again and installed win 10 on hdd, that still doesn't fix the Supermicro since that is what you bought to replace the other board

Colif

Win 11 Master
Possibly, all the errors are data errors or that MCE that could be a driver. It started pretty quick from what you say.

i don't know if its worth putting in old motherboard, installing win 10 on hdd, put ssd back in and run diskpart clean (see below) on the ssd and once its blank, you could try the install again on the supermicro. I would reset bios to defaults, it should let you boot off USB since it must have the 1st time you installed.

If you can get win 10 onto ssd, I would go to supermicro web site for board and make sure you have latest drivers as if it wasn't the motherboard causing this, it was the drivers.

How to CLean (wipe) SSD:
1. Boot from installer, on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install. and go to step 3
2. If PC won't boot from USB, from windows desktop, go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced start, click the restart now button
3. choose troubleshoot
4. choose advanced
5. choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of ssd number
type Select disk X - where X is the number of the ssd you want to wipe, change X to that number and press enter
once the drive you want to install on is chosen, type Clean - this deletes drives contents so make sure its the ssd and not hdd.

Solution

kingmanpb

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Now I have tried to install the old motherboard and boot from USB and I would still get restart loop. Could it be my new CPU? I still have my old one. I was going to put my old system back together to see if i could get it to run and wipe the SSD from that system and then put it back into the new system and see if i can run a fresh install all over again. So basically the only way to fix it at this point is get it back to a fresh system, essentially. I would really just like to eliminate the possibility of a hardware problem. I am not opposed to returning the new motherboard but if i can't get the old motherboard to boot to USB now either, I don't see how this can be solved without pumping more money into possibly buying new drives or something else. If i had a brand new SSD to load windows on, it still wont fix the problem i'm having booting from the USB. I could exchange the motherboard and get a new one (the same board but a new one), that would either fix the problem or rule out motherboard on the hardware side. Or exchange it for a different board altogether. I don't know, my limited knowledge is grasping at straws at this point.

kingmanpb

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Fixed it, reinstalled all my old components and was able to clean the disk. This was a bad board and drivers didn't install properly. Will be getting my money back.