Reinstalled Windows 7 then upgraded to Windows 10 but still issues.

SteamyStew

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I didn't know where else to try, please move this topic is it's unsuitable for this forum category.

A while back now (since February I believe) I reinstalled Windows 7 and ever since I've had issues when playing games. I suddenly have FPS drops in games I've never had FPs drops in before. I found this strange so I thought something happened to my hardware. I changed out all my hardware one part by one, but the issue still persisted. So I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10 with the free upgrade given by Microsoft. But still I have this issue. Would anyone be able to help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I would suggest re-install win 10 from scratch, download latest drivers and go from there. The program i found very useful to find drivers is Drive Booster 4. I am not promoting the software, it is what I have installed and it does find drivers all right.
Can you list full system specs, and what games you get FPS drops in.

If you changed out motherboard for something different, or changed out GPU for other brand (AMD->NVIDIA or vice versa) then you are going to have unstable OS.

No matter what, I would suggest you wipe and clean install windows 10.

SteamyStew

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017

The weird thing was, that my computer ran fine with my old parts (which I don't remember exactly, I can try to find them if it'll help). I never had FPS drops like this before I reinstalled Windows 7 on my old computer. Then I changed everything hardware wise, but still nothing. Then I upgraded to Windows 10. I did a reinstall after the upgrade, but I only formatted my main drive, not my secondary. I can attempt to reinstall Windows 10 again and this time wipe both my drivers clean.

I get FPS drops in games you wouldn't think I get FPS drops in: Bayonetta, Hollowknight, Metal Gear Solid V, Orcs Must Die 2 and Unchained, Armello, Dark Souls 3. Just to name a few.
NOTE: I used to play Dark Souls 3 a lot on my old computer and I never had any FPS issues no matter what graphical settings I used, then after the reinstall I get FPS drops on ever graphical setting. I could even trigger the FPS drops by finding "sweet points" in the game world and if I ran across that point, I got FPS drops.

I changed out everything, but I didn't change to the extreme of AMD - Nvidia. I've always had Nvidia.
Specs -
PSU: Corsair CX750M, 750W
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k Skylake 4.0GHz
CPU Fan: Corsair Hydro Series H90
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z270-A Socket-1151
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz 16GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 11GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5"HDD
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5"SSD

xtcmax

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
I would suggest re-install win 10 from scratch, download latest drivers and go from there. The program i found very useful to find drivers is Drive Booster 4. I am not promoting the software, it is what I have installed and it does find drivers all right.

Solution

SteamyStew

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017

So if I re-install Win10, won't Win10 automatically get the latest drivers for me? When I re-installed the last time I got my drivers automatically. I have checked them and they are "up-to-date". My Motherboard drivers at least, are newer versions of what's on ASUS' website. So if I were to download the "newest" drivers for my Motherboard I would be downgrading my drivers.

I will give Driver Booster 4 a look, but I also would like to know if Win10 will install the correct drivers as well? Thanks for your help!

xtcmax

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012

Of course don't do it if you checked and they are up to date.

SteamyStew

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017

I'm gonna try and re-install Win10 and format both my drives. But after I do it, what should I do first? Which drivers should I check for first and what should I do after I've gotten the drivers?