Very weird issue here, very low power to PC without dummy peripheral inputs...

nick66234

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
So first of all to get it out of the way, there is literally only one component in my PC that has not been swapped multiple (yes, multiple) times- the GPU. That's how long I've had this issue. I've tried probably 5-6 different outlets within my home. Sometimes running extension cords from different rooms and parts of the house simply to be sure I was on a different circuit (although I know extension cords and the like come with their own problems). I swapped out my main PC's old 125v 15A outlet for a new 125v 20A outlet knowing it was futile since PC's use no where near that amount of power. I've tried unplugging countless difference appliances. Flipping off countless power switches. Turning down our scolding hot water heater. Turning up enabled, but unplugged audio peripheral devices to full blast using Realtek's "Disable front panel jack detection" option hoping to trick windows and my MOBO, as well as doing countless other things to achieve the same end. This is 1% of all the shit I've tried! >.<

Whew. But anyway, none of that, nor any of the other 99% of options previously unknown to man before I developed the idea- have worked... until today, when I figured "Screw it, I'm gonna plug a bunch of random shit in and see if I can get some fireworks goin". Excuse the language FYI, but I discovered you cuss more after banging your head against a wall for 12 straight months. So I plugged in only things that wouldn't complete the circuit, e.g. a USB hub with no used inputs, HDMI port without a TV/monitor on the other end, similarly I used 3.5mm jacks etc. Anyway, I didn't get fireworks unfortunately. Instead I have a properly working PC. So minus the disappointment, does anybody have any idea WTF?!

I'm curious if anyone who's got some street rep with wall outlets and/or MOBOs knows whats up with this? Obviously an other-worldly problem with the GPU, a very unlikely issue with two MOBOs in a row, or an electrical problem are most likely. Yet clearly the outlet is capable of supplying the power. So some answers would be freakin awesome and appreciated if they exist (that's me inserting the possibility that God felt like being a dick).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Calling your power company for a line check can't hurt if you suspect the incoming power.

Have you tried breadboarding the system outside the chassis? Might be something going on there. If you have a high voltage float and plug in something that grounds it, that could easily be the problem.

A USB Hub will actually complete the circuit, it requires power too.