Looking for a New NVIDIA GPU - Feeling Overwhelmed!

Lepudds

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
Hey,

I'm looking for a new GPU - preferably an NVIDIA one since I've had AMD cards up until now and want to try something new!

I've got my eye on a GTX 1070 or 6GB 1060 but am feeling overwhelmed with all the options available in terms of SC, FTW, Founders Edition, different manufacturers, etc. I'd appreciate some personal insight to help me with this decision. Are there any models I should avoid? Any that are leaps and bounds better than the others?

I'm not into overclocking so would be running the card at factory defaults, and would like to be able to play most new releases on Ultra. I'm currently playing at 1080p but would like to be able to go 4k on less demanding games later on.

Games that I play mostly are:
Overwatch,
Dark Souls 3,
Battlefield 4 onwards,
Star Wars Battlefront.

For reference, I'm upgrading from an ATI Radeon HD 7870.

My specs are:
16GB DDR3 RAM
750w PSU
i7 4790k CPU
Kingston (don't know the model) 120GB SSD
Seagate 7200RPM 1TB HDD

Thanks for any advice!

Any GPU from the major makers are fine like Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA or MSI. The main difference between the different models, even within same brand, is the small factory overclock on some cards and how much noise the cooling solution are giving you. I just recently bought a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming (8 GB), it's a bit expensive but it is also dead silent, even under full load and torture test.

The GTX 1060 is plenty to play games at 1080p, but you might wanna invest in the GTX1070 for longevity as it would be able to keep up maybe a year or 2 more before you need to upgrade.
If you wanna go 4K you really need to consider GTX 1080 instead, as the other 2 are not really fast enough for that.

Lepudds

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

Thanks for the pointer. I'll leave out 4k in that case. I assume both cards would be able to handle a 1440p 144hz though, without an issue?

You would need at least a GTX 1070 to handle that resolution. I'm not sure you can push 144Hz at 1440p at max seetings with a GTX1070. A GTX 1080 would be a better choice i think. But 1440p at 60Hz, i can run that at max settings in any games i play.

TRENDING THREADS