what DDR4 should i use for my MSI X299M motherboard?

riddick51pb

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
need DDR4 recommendation(s). i currently have:

cpu=i9-7900x
gpu=evga gtx titan x 12gb (SLIx2; the old titan x's)
psu=enermax 1350W
motherboard=MSI X299M (click for MSI link)

would like to start with 16GB, then later on to 32GB total.

any assistance you provide would be greatly appreciated. i'm not too sure what to get memory wise. somewhat partial to corsair memory. don't have to be tho.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

riddick51pb

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

what follows is a reply, not a solution.

thanks a mil for that recommendation. i'm going to be doing a lot of gaming. csgo, playerunknown's battlegrounds, bf4, that type of stuff. do you think i should go with 64GB (4x16GB) ? would that be preferable for this processor to operate normally?

and you're right, my current z97m motherboard does stack those video cards fairly tightly, as will the new one. the top video card doesn't see much fresh cool air, which has been a constant concern. they are the reference cooled pushing the exhaust air out the back of the case. i sort of create a "split" between the video cards by using a wood shim (and torquing the pci-e gfx slots). im sure it allows the slightest bit of fresh air in between to the top video card. laughable, i know, just smile when you tell your buddies about it. thank god im not oc'ing anything. plenty of fresh air gets pushed into the case.

riddick51pb

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

yep, pretty much everything you just said. truth is, i saw summit1G has a 7900x, and i couldn't let myself be outdone, could i?? as usual, i'm going through post-purchase depression, knowing full well the mistake(s) i made in this recent parts upgrade. i'm gonna order the memory you specified on friday. hopefully, this stuff will last me through several years of gaming. here's my twitch channel which has all my other PC equipment listed: twitch.tv/iSarge4