Screen tearing ONLY in Fullscreen mode during gaming

Aug 30, 2017
Hello, everyone. New to the forums, so hopefully I'm posting in the right place.
I currently have a dilemma with (most) of my games experiencing tearing only while playing in Fullscreen mode. If I'm using any other display mode (borderless windowed/windowed fullscreen), I get a smooth image with no tears and my refresh rate is where it should be. However, I have noticed that in fullscreen, my refresh rate seems to be locked to 24hz or so, but I'm usually able to display well over 60fps in most games. From what I've gathered, fullscreen is supposed to be the BETTER option for a smoother experience.

If it helps, my specs are:

Viewsonic XG2401 monitor
Intel i5-6600k
Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
MSI Z170A Gaming M5
Running on Windows 10, latest version

I've tried tweaking various settings to no avail, so I'm turning here to see if anyone with more experience might be able to give me some insight as to why this might be happening and/or what I might be able to do to fix it. Thanks!

Solution

I would try rolling back the driver package. I have an RX 580 and have had significant issues since 17.7.2 was released. I rolled back to 17.4.3 and then Windows bumped it even farther to 17.1.1 and I haven't had issues since then.

A clean uninstall with Display Driver Uninstaller (in Safe Mode) and installation of an older driver package would be my next steps

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

I would try rolling back the driver package. I have an RX 580 and have had significant issues since 17.7.2 was released. I rolled back to 17.4.3 and then Windows bumped it even farther to 17.1.1 and I haven't had issues since then.

A clean uninstall with Display Driver Uninstaller (in Safe Mode) and installation of an older driver package would be my next steps

Solution