AMD A10-7850K still relevant for gaming?

Liam_84

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
On this website I see a lot of people saying that the 7850k is irrelevant and outdated nowadays, but I was able to play Destiny 2 Beta with the built-in graphics (Don't have a GPU, looking at the 1050 ti) at 60 fps, low settings (which don't look that bad), at 768p and I was happy with it.

So, what gives? It is still a competent CPU but people disregard it because "It's an APU, APUs suck"

You mentioned most things pretty well.
APU's were never meant for gaming, their main goal was to allow for office work without separate GPU (and thus extra expense)

As you have found out, at low detail levels and such, it can work, most gamers don't like low detail levels though and as such, don't recommend APU's at all. (bit misleading now though since Intel processors have inbuilt GPU's too.)

In your case, lower resolution (most assume 1080P now) and lower detail levels (most expect medium to high) APU's can get things done.

pairing it with separate GPU can fix the low output power of inbuilt GPU but... APU's were also never quite powerhouses on CPU side either and as such, the CPU part might bottleneck things a bit even on 1050 Ti.

so.. my personal opinion is "Still relevant for gaming?" No and never was. Personal tastes differ though and if it works for you, good.

You're happy with it, but most gamers play at better settings and resolutions; 1366x768 is easier than 1920x1080 or higher. It makes sense to use the A10-7850K if you already own it; but building a new gaming PC based on that APU would be questionable, particularly when adding a discrete GPU. When used with a discrete GPU, its performance basically matches the FX-4350.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Destiny 2 is a very well optimized game from what I have played so far and does not seem to be very cpu heavy at all, my 7700k only gets to maybe 20-30% usage across all cores in that game. If you are happy with low settings 738p then more power to you, stick with your 7850k. It's not irrelevant its just not very good compared to other CPU's in it's price range nowadays.

The cpu in tha APU is by todays standards simply put kinda crap. It's beaten by the cheapest cpu's you can buy and thats why it's not a good choice to get it for cpu intensive tasks.

The gpu in the apu is decent but also crap compared to what we have today (a gt 1030 is better than it).

For the same price of a a10 7850 setup you can get a g4560 + gtx 1030 or even a rx 560 if priced right which completely blows it away so thats why apu's make no sense anymore.

If you are just doing office work the g4560's intel hd graphics are more than enough and you then have a better cpu even.

Also the a10 7850 is barely meeting the min specs for game anymore and this is also why a lot of people don't even consider it a option anymore.

Liam_84

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

I already had this setup (A78M-E35 mobo, A6-6800k, 4GB DDR3) All I did was purchase an extra 4GB and the A10-7850K for like $75CAD together. All I'm looking for is Medium-High Graphics Settings on most games, and I don't want to/have the money to buy a completely new rig just for 4K and VR that I will never get into.

I like playing games like CS:GO with friends and Oblivion by myself, I don't need an Intel Xeon 2400 Core CPU

I wasn't saying you need to get a new rig or something just answering your question as to why people think it's a bad option.

Liam_84

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

I was more trying to make a point by you saying that "for the same price as a 7850k you could've gotten better stuff" but I already had a good Mobo i liked, a nice case, great features, so I decided to not spend $100 on just a new decent mobo, but to spend $50 on the best CPU that I could get for the time being (Yes I know it isn't as good as that Athlon X4 but I don't have a dedicated GPU so idc) I wanted to just upgrade my current rig so that it wasn't a power house, just so that it would run games more or less smoothly. I don't primarily game on PC, so I don't want to pour $1000 into something that I'll resent purchasing. My soon to be current setup (adding a GTX 1050 TI as stated previously) gets the job done and I'm fine with that.

This wasn't supposed to be a thread explaining my choice of not wanting to buy an entire new system. I was just wondering why everyone dislikes APUs even though as little_me explained all Intel CPUs now have IGs. I think that IF you are willing to play at lower resolutions and settings until you can fork over the dough for a Dedicated GPU, an APU is the way to go. It's like LGR explains how he had an incredibly underpowered PC for playing Duke Nukem 3D and SimCity 2000, but he made it work by using weird resolutions, under-scaling it, and playing at a really low framerate. He wanted to play those damn games on his computer so he sacrificed Res and FR to have fun which at the end of the day is the entire point of playing video games. Not spending exorbitant amounts of money to play Doom at 8K and showing off your rigs. That's why Nintendo won with the Gameboy even though it was inferior. It was more fun.

APUs allow you to have fun at a cheap cost. Why is that so hard for people to understand.

To add to the discussion I believe the impression that many find the APUs irrelevant is because they have different expectations. Or rather, much higher expectations of resolution, frame rates, and graphical detail than AMD's APUs can produce. I would also assume some make the assumption a PC has to play the latest games. However, as you point out, if you're interested in older games which don't require modern processing workloads then the APUs may well suit those needs.

I have an x4 760k paired with a GTX 750 ti which serves me well for most things, though it is starting to strain under what I want to do. It can still do everything I wanted it to do when I first got it, but my needs and interests have changed and it doesn't quite manage the new things I want to do.

Some people have a 'need' to justify their purchasing decisions; I believe this is what fuels the usual "my X is better than your Y" debates regarding consoles and whatnot. These people don't want to hear they made a bad decision.

comrodder

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017

Odd, because according to benchmarks, the a10-7850k performs better than the G4560 getting scores of 5498 and 5078 score respectively.