CPU Fan Speed Error/Won't Boot

Nando_514

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
Hello everyone,

First, let me start off by apologizing if this isn't in the right section.

PC Build:
i7 7700K
NZXT X52 Cooler
4 NZXT Aer 120mm fans
ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Mobo
16GBs GSkill Trident Z
ASUS 1060

I randomly started having issues this morning. I went to turn on the PC and after a few seconds I got a "Fan speed error detected" message. It prompted me to press F1 to enter the BIOS to reduce or eliminate the minimum fan speed limit. However, all fans seem to working properly... They speed up when booted and maintain speed when running... This is where it gets interesting... I noticed in the BIOS that my CPU temps kept climbing and climbing despite the fans running... Which leads me to believe it may be a hardware issue with the cooler. I checked and reconnected all cooler and fan cables but still nothing. When I tried messing with the Qfan controls and removing that speed limit, it still wouldn't let me get passed the BIOS. I keep getting the error message about the fans and puts me right back into the BIOS.

Another thing of interest, is the POST leds on the side of the mobo. The green boot device led stays lit. Could this be why I'm not getting past the BIOS? Any ideas?

I'll be taking apart the PC and swapping coolers with another build to see if it fixes anything. In the meantime, anyone with insight or ideas is much appreciated

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your mobo thinks the CPU cooling system is not working properly and may not be working at all. Your CPU temperature keeps climbing, ALSO indicating that the CPU cooler is NOT working. My guess is that the PUMP of your X52 system has stopped working. You say you can see the fans on the radiator working, but still the CPU is overheating. I suspect that that system reports to the mobo CPU_FAN header the speed of its PUMP, not of its radiator fans. Have you downloaded and installed the CAM software from NZXT? Look in there and see what it says about the fan and pump speeds of the X52 system. Of course, if the BIOS won;t let you boot into Windows, that won't work.