How to remove permanently system partitions?

bokrael

Reputable
Aug 30, 2017
Hello, I've got a faulty PSU which keeps restarting my PC. Anyway I have to select repair PC to start the Windows. And there were all of my system partitions. I manage to remove them from "windows partition manager". But when I reinstalled my windows they come back? Also when I'm loading Windows I got a screen for 5sec that says: "scanning and repairing drive V for errors". I got SSD for better boot time and I really hate this. When I remove them in the manager last time I've keep seeing this screen. And they show up again on my next Windows. So please, give me a permanent fix of this.

Solution

No reason to get scared.
You can do some of those commands in Disk Management graphical user interface also.
1. rightclick Z: and format it to NTFS file system;
2. rightclick Z: and set it active;
3. This one has to be executed from elevated command prompt (no other way around). It creates necessary bootloader files on specified partition.
  • bcdboot c:\windows /s z:
4. rightclick on Z: and remove drive...

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
If you are reinstalling anyway, this is the procedure I use.

• ■ Disconnect all drives except the one you are installing on
    ■ Restart with your boot media inserted (or boot from BIOS or advanced start-up menu)
    ■ When you are in the Windows install program, before selecting a drive to install on:
    ■ use Shift+F10 to open a command prompt
    5SWMjGJ.png

■ type the command "diskpart"
    ■ type "list disk"
    ■ look at the list to determine which is your drive (there should only be one)
    ■ type "select disk 0" or disc 1 or whatever it is
    ■ it should say something like "disc 0 is now the selected disc"
    ■ type "clean"
    ■ alternatively you can type "clean all" which is a more intensive wipe but takes longer
    ■ I have generally had good luck just using the "clean" command, sometimes several times in a row (seemed to help once)
    ■ If desired, you can format the drive here by typing "format MBR" or "format GPT" depending
    ■ type "exit"
    ■ you can now close the command prompt and continue with installation as normal, just select your disk, which should say "Unallocated Space" and begin

You can delete V: and X: partitions in Disk Management. They will disappear from windows explorer after that.

Z: partition should contain bootloader, but it's messed up now. I suggest you fix it.
Use diskpart to do that (run from elevated command prompt):
  • diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0
    select partition 1
    format fs=ntfs quick
    active
    exit

bcdboot c:\windows /s z:

diskpart
    select disk 0
    select partition 1
    remove letter=z
    exit

Reboot after that, to check, if everything boots right.
Z: partition should not have letter assigned after that and should not appear in windows explorer, Disk Management should show it as System, Active, Primary partition, NTFS.

bokrael

Reputable
Aug 30, 2017
@ Night Owl
Is your comment addressed to me or..?

@SkyNetRising
OK, so I delete V and X (and Im pretty sure that Im gonna keep getting "scanning and repair screen" and they will back on next Windows reinstall?

For X I have to open the command prompt and copy all of the test in your post at once?

"Reboot after that, to check, if everything boots right." Is that mean that there is a chance to not run this Windows anymore?

If you delete partition V: , scanning/repairing will not try to fix it anymore. It's gone. Nothing to scan/repair.

Do not copy/paste those commands. Run them one by one. If you encounter an error, then stop immediately.
If some of those commands fail or you do not execute them properly, then it's possible, that windows will not boot.

bokrael

Reputable
Aug 30, 2017
So I used "Delete Volume" for V and X. I hope this is not mistake because when I installed and managed my partition my OS it auto assign them, they are not created by me. Of course they were invisible at the beginning.

About Z. Im pretty scarred to use command prompt, because Im not enough skilled. If anything wrong happened I dont know how to manage it. Are you sure drive Z is different than other 2? It looks same? May be I suppose to delete it too?

Also there is no more drive V scanning and repair screen. Now I got it for Z:

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
If there is no critical data on the drive I highly suggest going back and following the procedure in my previous post.

It will wipe the drive completely and you will start with a fresh install of Windows.

If you follow the steps there is no need to be afraid of the Command Prompt. We can help you out.

No reason to get scared.
You can do some of those commands in Disk Management graphical user interface also.
1. rightclick Z: and format it to NTFS file system;
2. rightclick Z: and set it active;
3. This one has to be executed from elevated command prompt (no other way around). It creates necessary bootloader files on specified partition.
  • bcdboot c:\windows /s z:
4. rightclick on Z: and remove drive letter
5. reboot

If you get some error or something doesn't work, to revert booting to previous configuration just
rightclick C: (in Disk Management) and make it active again (it was the active partition before activating Z: ).

Solution