Can I boot windows 10 from an internal hard drive i'm transfering into my new build so I don't need to buy a stick? how?

David_24

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015
Can I boot windows 10 from an internal hard drive i'm transfering into my new build so I don't need to buy a stick? how? It's a second drive i don't have windows installed onto.

Solution
are you going to use the current install? If you aren't, you can do this and move the licence itself to another PC (If win 10 was an upgrade from 7 or 8) - Reactivating win 10 on new hardware

then its best to just download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, so you know you have latest build and fresh install win 10 on new PC as all the drivers on old one won't match new.

If you intend to keep using current PC, you will need to buy a new licence.

win 10 will only install off USB or DVD, so can't use an internal drive to run install.

Colif

Win 11 Master
are you going to use the current install? If you aren't, you can do this and move the licence itself to another PC (If win 10 was an upgrade from 7 or 8) - Reactivating win 10 on new hardware

then its best to just download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, so you know you have latest build and fresh install win 10 on new PC as all the drivers on old one won't match new.

If you intend to keep using current PC, you will need to buy a new licence.

win 10 will only install off USB or DVD, so can't use an internal drive to run install.

Solution