New build, can't post bios

javor.alex

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
MSi B350 motherboard
EVGA GQ 650 PSU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 GPU

With the graphics card installed, I get the GPU led holding red along with the boot led.

With the graphics card removed, I get the VGA led holding red.

Everything else seems to be working (lights, fans)

Do I need to update the BIOS on my motherboard? But how can I do that without having anything on the screen? Do I have to take it to a computer shop?

javor.alex

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

AMD Ryzen 5 and two G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 8mb.

I did reseat the cpu. I have the two RAM sticks stuck into slots 2 and 4, as per my motherboards instructions. I have no messed with them.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

Ryzen doesn't support onboard graphics so no surprise that it didn't work without the GPU.

I would try booting with a single DIMM in slot #2, try both of them individually.

javor.alex

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

I tried both in slot 2 with no change to the sequence. It goes through CPU, VGA, and then stops at GPU and holds with the GPU LED and Boot LED.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

I could be the motherboard or the graphics card most likely. Is it possible for you to test the components in another system that is known to work?

javor.alex

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

No. This is the first desktop I've ever built. I think I will have to take it to a computer shop as it seems I'm at the end of my troubleshooting capacity. At least with plenty of help I've been able too narrow it down as much as possible.

javor.alex

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

Oh, good catch. No I am in the mobo right now. Let me try that.

javor.alex

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

Ah, the frustrations and revelations of being a noob. Thanks a lot, you've turned my day around. If you're ever in Anchorage Alaska, I'll get you a beer (or whatever you like to drink).

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

I'm in Saskatchewan... not THAT far...