Browsers create .txt file in Documents when watching Youtube

demusavo

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
Hi everybody,
i have a weird issue happening and if somebody could help, that would be great.

I did a clean install of 64bit Win 10 this morning and i downloaded all the latest updates. Beside OS, i only have Avast, Malwarebytes and Chrome installed on my machine.

When i go to watch a video on Youtube (doesnt matter is it Chrome or Edge), a .txt file called File1 appears in my Documents folder.
Judging by the content, it looks like a source code or something like that of the Youtube page that i am on.

Here is a part of it: https://pastebin.com/JJDXWH0N

It only happens when i am watching YouTube (not when i am browsing other sites) and on all browsers so i am thinking it has something to do with Windows...

Thank you for your time and help!

Solution
are you using same login name each time? is it linked to an email address?

Try making a new local user and see if same thing still happens - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026923/windows-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-10

it might be your user profile is corrupted (as it might be syncing settings from your roaming profile that is saved on MS servers)

it might be tied into this but then you say it happens on chrome too.... try any other browsers? https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/649346/edge-browser-now-saving-all-download-files-as-txt/

demusavo

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
No, only extensions Chrome has are default ones (Docs, Slides, Sheets) + Avast Internet Security extension (tried disabling it but same thing happens).
Regarding other programs, it is clean install + Chrome, Avast and Malwarebytes...

Colif

Win 11 Master

demusavo

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
I know, but it happens on every video and including Roboto font is only the part of it. Document is around 150-200kb big (depending on the video).
Regarding startup programs, i have Windows Defender, Avast, Malwarebytes, Intel Graphics Settings, Audio Controls and Synaptics trackpad.

I cant guarantee 100% but i think it happened after i downloaded OS&driver updates thru Update center

p.s no camera, that nikon video is just a random video i tried. so, each time i play a video, that file gets created. after i delete it and play another video, it gets created again (it is not doing it on startup)

demusavo

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
will try it, thank you!
about the file, name "File1.txt" always stays, it only changes the content. If i watch some other video, filename stays and file content changes...

demusavo

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
i have installed it but i couldnt see what is using it (i guess i dont know how) but i was wondering is it possible to see what process created the file in the first place?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know, I was approaching it from other angle to see what uses it since it gets updated. I don't know how to use that program either, I just found it asking how to see what uses a file.

Here is another way to see what is running, it might reveal what is using that file, especially if you run it open when watching you tube

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe). Its like an over powered version of task manager.

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service

I use it mostly for memory problems but it might help here

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click processes and run an av scan from within the program.

After looking, windows doesn't record what created the file, the 2 programs I suggested are best way to figure it out

In general, no. Windows does not record the process that created a given file.

You might be able to use something like SysInternals Process Monitor, which hooks file (and registry I/O), to see if you can catch the file being created, but once it's created (and the last file handle is closed), Windows forgets which process it came from.

If the file is open in a process that's currently running, you can use Process Explorer (also from SysInternals) to find out which one.

If you recognise the file extension, that can sometimes help. Or, maybe you can look in the file to see if there's anything obvious in it.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15454056/find-process-that-created-a-file-on-windows

demusavo

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
So, I couldn't find a way to make suggestion from your previous message work so I took a different approach.
I downloaded latest Win 10, did a clean install after which I downloaded all the updates+drivers from Windows Update and it happens again...
Before updating I tried it and it worked properly (without txt file being created), after update+restart txt file starts showing up.

This really doesn't make any sense...

Colif

Win 11 Master
so nothing apart from windows installed? if you have Avast & Malwarebytes installed again, check their options as I know they both create log files but I don't believe they just go in documents.

Its not normal and especially after a clean install. I can't find anything like it, normally there is something similar but nothing...

what are specs of PC? I don't know how it will help but maybe

demusavo

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
No, 100% clean install after which I updated drivers+updates via Windows Update.
I haven't installed Avast or Malwarebytes this time so that shouldn't be it :(
Laptop is HP Probook G4 450 (i5, 8GB of RAM, 128SSD+1TB HDD, some NVidia card)

Colif

Win 11 Master
are you using same login name each time? is it linked to an email address?

Try making a new local user and see if same thing still happens - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026923/windows-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-10

it might be your user profile is corrupted (as it might be syncing settings from your roaming profile that is saved on MS servers)

it might be tied into this but then you say it happens on chrome too.... try any other browsers? https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/649346/edge-browser-now-saving-all-download-files-as-txt/

Solution