Adapter: HDMI to VGA or DVI to VGA

techyvishal15

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017
Hi all,
I have a Samsung's monitor with only VGA port. I'm currently using my i5's HD 630 Onboard GPU for display and gonna buy Zotac GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC Edition. It has only display port, DVI and HDMI .

Please suggest me a adapter / cable for minimum quantity loss.

If you can , please pick a from amazon.in

Cheers

Solution
DVI is higher "quality" (dual link can support higher resolutions and refresh rates than HDMI). But image quality should be the same for HDMI and DVI.

However, because HDMI is used much more, you'll have a lot easier time finding a decent, cheap HDMI to VGA adapter. Not only is DVI not as widely used, earlier cards used DVI-I which actually included analog output in the socket. So a DVI-I to VGA adapter was trivial (just wire up the four analog pins, ignore everything else). Unfortunately that meant there wasn't a lot of market demand for a DVI-D to VGA adapter. And pretty much all modern video cards are DVI-D.

DVI-D to VGA still has (had) an advantage in that the audio is typically not included with DVI, so you can just plug the...
DVI is higher "quality" (dual link can support higher resolutions and refresh rates than HDMI). But image quality should be the same for HDMI and DVI.

However, because HDMI is used much more, you'll have a lot easier time finding a decent, cheap HDMI to VGA adapter. Not only is DVI not as widely used, earlier cards used DVI-I which actually included analog output in the socket. So a DVI-I to VGA adapter was trivial (just wire up the four analog pins, ignore everything else). Unfortunately that meant there wasn't a lot of market demand for a DVI-D to VGA adapter. And pretty much all modern video cards are DVI-D.

DVI-D to VGA still has (had) an advantage in that the audio is typically not included with DVI, so you can just plug the analog audio stream from your computer to your speakers. HDMI converts the audio to digital, meaning if you're converting HDMI to VGA, the audio to be converted back to analog before you can plug it into your speakers. But a quick scan of Amazon suggests they've gotten the price of this down to substantially (used to be about $35).

Do be aware that converting to VGA means you'll lose HDCP (high-bandwidth digital content protection). So if your computer has a blu-ray player in it and you try to watch a blu-ray movie, either it won't work or it'll be degraded down to DVD resolution. I'm not sure but I think streamed HD content also has the same problem (been almost a decade since I had a VGA monitor to test it on). Of course because of Hollywood's bizarre logic, only legit movies are affected. Pirated stuff will play just fine at 1080p or 4k to an analog monitor (though it probably won't be able to fully resolve 4k resolution over an analog signal)..

Solution