Network driver/adapter suddenly stopped working and cannot connect to local network.

gkovalechyn

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
What happened:

I was browsing the internet normally and then suddenly I lost internet connection. Thinking nothing of it since I had to leave soon anyway I went to turn off my computer but for some reason it hang and I had to turn it off forcefully.

What happens:

• ■ Disabling/enabling the network adapter requires a restart to take effect.
    ■ [strike]Restarting results in a BSOD with the error message DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.[/strike]
    ■ [strike]Shutting down never properly shuts down the computer, the screen goes black but everything else stays on.[/strike]
    ■ Shutting down actually causes the computer to restart if the network adapter is enabled, if it is disabled it shuts down properly.
    ■ ipconfig /renew and /release hang forever.
    ■ Trying to install the driver manually hangs forever.

Once I came back, it was the same thing, no internet access. What I tried:

• ■ Uninstalling/installing the network drivers. (Safe mode and normal)
    ■ Clearing the TCP/IP stack.
    ■ Changed power management to performance.
    ■ Disabled the power management of the network adapter.
    ■ Disabling the firewall and antivirus.
    ■ Restarting the router.
    ■ Defining a static IP address in the windows configuration and router settings.
    ■ Updating to the latest Intel network drivers.

On a restart it caused a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error, here is the crash dump:
Analysis of crash dump: https://hastebin.com/rahetuduko.md
Crash dump file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_4qF7TAsCYIekFhb3l2TUowR2c

It also seems that a few programs who try to use the network (Steam, chrome) get put into a state where they cannot be killed but still stay on the process list as active. Trying to kill them through the console results in the message:

JavaScript:
Error: The process with PID xxxx could not be terminated.
Reason: There is no running instance of the task.
But another programs, Waterfox for example, don't have the same behaviour.

I honestly have run out of options and have no idea what to do anymore, the only option I have left is to format it. But it's something I really don't want to do.

Solution
Turns out that all the cable connections of the main router were not working. There was another router connected to the main router that was being used as an access point and that one needed to be restarted.
Once that router was restarted all the other cable ports on the main router started working again.

gkovalechyn

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
Turns out that all the cable connections of the main router were not working. There was another router connected to the main router that was being used as an access point and that one needed to be restarted.
Once that router was restarted all the other cable ports on the main router started working again.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS