Changing Product Key

southkeyphoenix

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
I just made a restore point and found my Slim Product Key for Windows 10 Pro. This new all in one HP PC came with Windows 10 Home. I am thinking of changing the product key and getting what I paid for when I had Windows 7 Home and upgraded to Ultimate. Than when Windows 10 came it automatically went to Windows 10 Pro. It crashed the end of July. Bought in 2008 with Windows 7 Home installed.

Do I do the try and see or wait till fall update and maybe do it then. I had more control with Pro but I also have changed many settings to get the control back somewhat with Home. I am in a quandary as to what NEXT ?

Solution
if you can get both, it might be all you need to convince MS to activate that licence on current PC for you. It is likely still registered onto the old PC so I don't think it would let you use it on the new PC without talking to them

Colif

Win 11 Master
Was that key tied to an email address or the PC? Did you use a login tied to an email address to login to PC? Go here and see what devices attached to your account: https://account.microsoft.com/devices

If old PC is still tied to your account, you can remove the old PC here by pressing the More actions and remove PC. Then you should be able to enter the product key into your new PC... I don't know for sure as never done this. Another option is contact Microsoft as they should have the answer for you.

southkeyphoenix

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
No,not connected to any devices. No log in tied to email.
Do I need the Windows 10 Pro Key? or the Windows 7 Home key before upgrade to Ultimate which I paid for.?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you can get both, it might be all you need to convince MS to activate that licence on current PC for you. It is likely still registered onto the old PC so I don't think it would let you use it on the new PC without talking to them

Solution