Cleanest way to reinstall Windows 10

HK_Gail

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
I'm about to upgrade my pc, replacing everything except the ssd my Windows 10 is on. I did the free upgrade from 7 a while back. I want to format that ssd and reinstall 10 fresh too. What's the best, cleanest, way to go about this? Should I upgrade first, then reinstall, or can it be done at the same time?

Solution
if you still have windows 10 on the old pc you have a digital oem code now. so the easy way is to use windows media creation tool and 8g usb stick. make the new bootable usb stick. make the new pc and boot from the new usb stick. click skip when it ask for your oem code. go into advance mode and wipe the ssd. then install windows. when you log into the net with the new build it should pull your digital key. if not contact ms do the "my mb burnet out and was replaced by xxx" the tech sould be able to reset your oem key.
if you still have windows 10 on the old pc you have a digital oem code now. so the easy way is to use windows media creation tool and 8g usb stick. make the new bootable usb stick. make the new pc and boot from the new usb stick. click skip when it ask for your oem code. go into advance mode and wipe the ssd. then install windows. when you log into the net with the new build it should pull your digital key. if not contact ms do the "my mb burnet out and was replaced by xxx" the tech sould be able to reset your oem key.

Solution

HK_Gail

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
How big does the thumb drive actually need to be now? I've read 4gb, and 5, and you said 8. Has the requirement been growing, or did you suggest 8 just to be safe?

USAFRet

Titan

Direct from MS, 5GB or larger.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
"A blank USB flash drive with at least 5 GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted. "

USAFRet

Titan

It's not a big deal, and you do NOT have to use the MS account in your daily workings.
This PC I'm using right now has been signed in with the MS account exactly once. That was last November, when I rebuilt it and reactivated the OS.

Before and after, strictly local accounts.