New Build, GTX1080, Every Game Crashes

klm1185

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
Hello, I have recently built a new upgraded computer for myself and am running into issues that I am assuming are graphics/vga related... though I'm not sure. The system specs:

Intel i7 7800x
MSI x299 Gaming Pro Carbon
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk
Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 2666 Memory
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512GB SSD
Corsair RM750X PSU
Windows 10 Pro

The system seems to be running fine aside from some strange graphics quirks. From what I've read it could possibly be the Nvidia drivers? Windows is completely up to date, and the Mobo drivers from MSI are also up to date as well. I started with the most recent driver offered from Nvidia, but every game seemed to freeze within a few minutes of play. Since then I've tried previous drviers jumping back to the last release of the driver number groups. Some of these drivers seem to work a little better but still the freezing is inevitable. I run dual monitors and occasionally when I have a video running in the second screen while working/gaming in the first, the video becomes pixelated and jumbled. This happens whether or not the video is streaming or from my media hard drive.
I have always used Asus Motherboards with AMD VGA's in the past but I wanted to try something new this time, especially since in my work for Arch VIS, Nvidia cards have been said to preform very well. I'm not sure what the issue is but it is becoming very frustrating. Is this a VGA issue or something else, perhaps Windows 10? If anyone can offer some advice or a fix it would be appreciated.
Thanks

Solution

I think I've figured out what the issue was. In the Thermaltake Core p5 chasis it comes with a PCI-E riser to display the graphics card and apparently the Thermaltake risers that they provide are prone to issues like the ones I have. I ended up getting a new one through Amazon today and it seems like the issue is fixed. Hopefully for good! Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

klm1185

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

Thanks for the reply but I've already checked that, not seeing any temps over 40C when in game. The whole system is water cooled, and is working well while running unigine benchmarks and prime95. Also I'm using a Thermaltake core p5 case so ventilation is not an issue.

moogle89

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

This is really bizarre, you have a monster computer. If EVERY game crashes , I have no idea what could be going on.
Common sense would dictate that it's a graphic card problem but you said the temperatures are OK. Your parts are all compatible, and you have probably uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers.. Sorry I can't be of any help.

klm1185

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

Trust me, it's driving me crazy. My last rig was a beast and this one was supposed to be even better, but the freezes are killing me. It's not even the whole PC that freezes, just the game itself. I can end the game task just fine. Idk... Thanks though

klm1185

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

Yeah it's in the right slot. This is the 4th rig I've built and second I've custom watercooled. Troubleshooting has never really been an issue until now... I've tried 5 different driver releases going back until April this year. No overheating. CPU is strong. Memtest showed no errors. VGA works with 3D modeling. Only issues are during gaming and the weird video playback glitches.

klm1185

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

I think I've figured out what the issue was. In the Thermaltake Core p5 chasis it comes with a PCI-E riser to display the graphics card and apparently the Thermaltake risers that they provide are prone to issues like the ones I have. I ended up getting a new one through Amazon today and it seems like the issue is fixed. Hopefully for good! Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

Solution

moogle89

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

Hey no problem. Glad you sorted it out.
Best of luck :)