CPU/Motherboard troubleshooting help

DyslexicSmile

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I'm attempting to build a new computer, but am having trouble getting any video whatsoever. I've attempted having the minimum components connected, such as motherboard, CPU, and GPU. What I have connected is all new and already been exchanged at the store, as I originally believed the issue to be a bad motherboard or processor. What I have is:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
Motherboard: MSI x370 Gaming pro carbon
GPU: tried onboard motherboard GPU and also PCI-e GeForce GTX1070
Power: 850w EVGA and Corsair CX750w

I've disconnected everything and reconnected everything several times, so I know its not an issue with something not being connected correctly.

When I turn the PC on I get 3 long beeps, then nothing. If I have a stick of memory in, then I get 4 long beeps instead.

I've used 2 different power supplies, exchanged the motherboard and CPU, but am getting the same results.

At the moment I am at a complete loss. Any help or troubleshooting ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also let me know if any other information is needed for assistance.

moogle89

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
1.Try clearing the CMOS (Look in the motherboard manual)
2. Re-seat the RAM, try using one stick only;
see if the GPU is all the way in and its cables are plugged in
check if CPU has power (there is a seperate cable that powers up the CPU)
3. Turn your monitor on and off (some monitors have a hibernation mode that does not wake up from the BIOS message alone)

DyslexicSmile

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010

I have tried all of those except for Clearing the CMOS. I will try that when I get home from work and let you know how it went. Thank you for the reply!

DyslexicSmile

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Unfortunately clearing the CMOS did not do the trick, however a friend of mine was also browsing the forums here and thinks the RAM I have may not be compatible. They also mentioned the board needs 1 stick of RAM in to work. The RAM I purchased is Patriot Viper DDR4 2666MHz 8GBx2

moogle89

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

That could be the culprit too. Buy a new RAM and try it out, seems like a good idea.
You are looking for DDR4-3200+ RAM. Newer motherboards are very picky about what type of memory they accept ^^