7200rpm HDD or 5400rpm SSHD

abhishek7xavier

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
I am planning to upgrade my sluggish secondary netbook which currently uses a 1TB 2.5" 5400rpm HDD. My max budget is 100$ and want a min 1TB drive only. I am a little confused whether to go for a 7200rpm HDD (like the WD10JPLX) or a 5400rpm SSHD (like the Seagate Firecuda ST1000LXB15). Can you guyz please suggest me the best option among the two, based on performance and reliability, etc?

I know that SSDs are faster but my budget is not enough to get an expensive 1 TB SSD, so please suggest between HDD or SSHD only. If you have any other option under 100$ only, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Personally, I'd opt for the 7200rpm HDD/.

While SSHD's have a place in theory, their cache is generally very small - you cannot manually assign whats utilized by the flash aspect (the system does for you, and that takes time to "learn") and, for tasks that have not been assigned to flash memory, it's still a slow 5400rpm drive at it's core.

So, initially installing/booting to/from an SSHD will "feel" like a 5400rpm drive.
After time, booting and loading a few frequently used applications will feel much faster, but everything else will feel like using a 5400rpm drive.

The 7200rpm HDD makes the most sense to me.

I have been using nothing but 7200 rpm SSHDs in laptops for about 8 years. I have noted that most 2.5" SSHDs these days have moved to 5400 rpm. Logic dictates that a 5400 rpm unit will only be 75% as fast as 7200 rpm, but that assumes that areal density has not changed. But it has.

rpm-pcmarkvantage-500x223.jpg

The problem is that most reviews "go all out geek" and measure the performance of drives doing things you don't normally do. For example, a 7200 rpm drive will perform 33% faster than a 5400 rpm drive assuming they have the same areal density. Let's assume that's the case; copy pasting 500 GB of files say takes 1:00 minutes at 7200 rpm and 1:20 so 20 seconds is big, no ? And you will do this in your lappies lifetime how many times ? For me, never. Now lets look at a 1 GB file .....that's 0.12 seconds versus 0.16 seconds. Well below your reaction time to even witness the transfer. The truth of the matter is 99% of us don't do anything on a routine basis that makes storage speed matter.

Let's look at Gaming:

The old 7200 rpm 3.5" SSHD was 53% faster than WDs top of the line 3.5% WD Black. Now we know that the new SSDs have greater areal density and are % faster than the old ones but again lets ignore that for now. If we take the old 7200 rpm SSHD and reduce its performance by 75% .... it's still 15% faster than a WD Black. But the higher areal desnity of the new drives pushes that up again.

Also, time does not affect the performance of SSHDs. The NAND is not static,,,files don't get in there and stay there. The performance Algorithm works my monitoring the most frequently used files and moving them to the NAND area in the background.

At the office... with an SSD and HD, you have to decide what to store where. So if say an AutoCAD workstation you can locate the CAD files on the SSD and then when it's full, you have to store them on the HD. With an SSHD, lets say we take on a strip mall design ... once we load those CAD files 2 or 3 times, this is recognized as a "current project" (frequently used files) and the project we did last month and aren't accessing any more gets moved to the slower portion of the drive

At home... with an SSD and HD, you have to decide what to store where. So if say I'm playing Far Cry 3 you can locate the game on the SSD and then when it's full, you have to store FC4 HD. With an SSHD, once we load FC4 2 or 3 times, this is recognized as a "current game" (frequently used files) and FC3 which we aren't accessing any more gets moved to the slower portion of the drive.

Simply put, any discussion on HD versus SSHD performance can not be made w/o:

a) Knowing the areal density of the two options
b) Having a deep understanding of what will take up space on the NAND

If you tend to be a sequential game player.... say playing FC3 then FC4, then the SSHD is a benefit. If you play 8 different games each night and each day it's a different list, then the SSHD won't have much impact. Similarly for the workspace but here day to day file usage tends to focus on current projects / activities regardless of profession and does very well here.

When user budget allows, we recommend an SSD for OS and programs and SSHDs for data storage.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm not a fan of SSHD's, but....

If you have a laptop, and only a single drive, and only $100, and you want/need 1TB space....then yes. The SSHD probably wins. By only a little bit.

Another thing to consider is....why is the laptop sluggish?
Specs, and what do you use it for?
It may be that this drive change does nothing for the 'sluggishness'.

cupcakewalk

Reputable
Apr 4, 2017
I upgraded from a 7200rpm HD to a previous-generation SSHD and found the overall system bump considerable. To me there's no question that SSHD are faster for standard tasks like loading the OS and programs. 8GB on NAND is adequate space for your OS and commonly-used programs. You get the best of SSDs without the full cost.
This thread assumes you have adequate RAM for your workload.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I assume that 2TB Seagate is a 7200rpm at it's core JN?

Looking at the SSHD the OP mentions...... it's about 20-25% cheaper than other offerings in it's 'class'. Not foolproof detective work at all, but I'd hazard a guess that it's an older variant? So, while the "latest and greatest" 5400rpmHybrid drives have closed the gap on their 7200rpm/hybrid predecessors, I'm not so sure that one specifically has to any noticeable degree (when the "frequently used" isn't factored in).

OP, if the price is really close (ie <$10 difference), then there's no harm in the SSHD over an HDD, but, while the 8GB flash memory aspect should be sufficient for most people (OS + one or two programs), make sure it's suitable for your use case.

As I said earlier, at it's core, the SSHD you mention is still a 5400rpm drive.... so anything that doesn't benefit from being "frequently" used (some load/save cycles, bulk data transfer etc) is still going to be utilizing the 5400rpm drive aspect..... which can be painful at times. If you have a varied workload, I doubt you'd be happy with the SSHD.

Of course, if you don't transfer bulk data often, only play a few select games etc, then it should be fine - as the 8GB flash storage should be sufficient.

You may want to consider a 7200 RPM, 3.5" version of the FireCuda. Both the 1TB (ST1000DX002) and 2TB (ST2000DX002) capacities can be found within/close to your budget. These SSHDs also come with a 5 year warranty whereas a standard desktop drive typically comes with 2 years.

You haven't mentioned your specific computer needs, but here are a couple of charts that compare how they fare in gaming to give you an idea of how they stack up:

The first one compares startup times across several popular games on a traditional spinning 7200 RPM HDD, our SSHD, and an M.2 SSD (128GB). The white is for SSD, the orange is for our SSHD, and the gray is for the 7200 spinning HDD.

Startup Times

The next one compares the first 3 days of gaming storage utilization across several popular titles, and SYSmark ratings from various drive types and combinations. First of the grays is 7200 RPM 1TB spinning HDD, second (lightest gray) is our SSHD, third (darkest gray) is an SSD + 7200 RPM HDD combo, purple is SSD + our SSHD combo, and lastly blue is SSD.

First 3 Days Gaming Storage Utilization

Regardless of which drive you decide to go with in the end, thank you for considering Seagate!

But he did.....

I am planning to upgrade my sluggish secondary netbook which currently uses a 1TB 2.5" 5400rpm HDD

Ah, missed the laptop bit. Apologies.

If you are talking boot time listings, yes those were all 7200 rpm drives.

So, while the "latest and greatest" 5400rpmHybrid drives have closed the gap on their 7200rpm/hybrid predecessors

No gap .... it's been closed and substantially passed. Areal density has vastly increased between 2010 and 2017

PC Mark Vantage (5400 rpm Gen 3 SSHD) = 18,940 (30% faster then Gen 2 7200 rpm SSHD 4.5 times faster than HD)
PC Mark Vantage (7200 rpm Gen 2 SSHD ) = 14,631
PC Mark Vantage (7200 rpm HD) = 4,257

I'm not so sure that one specifically has to any noticeable degree (when the "frequently used" isn't factored in).

But, for most folks ... "frequently used" is what they are using 90+% of the time. Again, its not like the NAND portion is static..... usage is monitored at all times the computer is running. So when you are writing your March Newsletter and playing your "game of the month", the February newsletter and February game of the month files are long gone.

Looking at my data drive on our workstation at all files loaded in the month of August and it totals just 100 MB or 0.1 GB.

In gaming...

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/hdd-charts-2013/-17-PCMark-7-Gaming,2915.html

Gamers fall primarily into 4 categories:

a) Competitive Gamers - Play same 1 or 2 MMOs every day, sometimes 3
b) Sequential Gamers - Play same 1 or 2 of maybe 3 games every day until moving on to others
c) A hybrid between a) and b) ... 1 MMO and a select 1 or 2 others
d) ADD Gamers - Play 3-4 different games on Monday, a different 4-5 on Tuesday and all over the place.

I have only met one in group d and that's my youngest son. I'd say c) is the biggest. Only d) won't benefit from the SSHD. In the workplace, unless you do video production or something similar most work places use the same files day to day, phasing out the old and welcoming the new slowly over time.

As I said earlier, at it's core, the SSHD you mention is still a 5400rpm drive.... so anything that doesn't benefit from being "frequently" used (some load/save cycles, bulk data transfer etc) is still going to be utilizing the 5400rpm drive aspect..... which can be painful at times. If you have a varied workload, I doubt you'd be happy with the SSHD.

That's a red herring because the increase in areal density in the 7 years between Gen 2 (7200) and Gen 3 (5400) was not factored in

Let's assign a arbitrary value of AD to the areal density of the older 7200 rpm SSHD from 2010
Let's assume a value of 1.33 AD to the areal density of an newer 5400 rpm SSHD from 2017

Which one is faster ? neither, they are exactly the same.

1.33 AD x 5400 / 7200 = 1.00 D

Of course, if you don't transfer bulk data often, only play a few select games etc, then it should be fine - as the 8GB flash storage should be sufficient.

In 2010 when those 7200 rpm drives came area max areal density was about 500 GB/sq.in. In 2015 it was more than double that at 1,100

HDD-Areal-Density-Trend-062815.jpg

So when comparing the 2010s Gen 2 7200 and the SOTA in 2015 5400 we have 2.2 AD x 5400 / 7200 ... the 7 year newer 5400 rpm design drive w/ greater areal density is 65% faster.

That's just it, that covers > 90% of what people do > 90% of the time. We ran two 6 week tests with 5 users:

1. Desktop w/ (2) SSD, (2) SSHD and (1) HD ... System was set up so that it could be booted from any of the above via BIOS selection. Users were unaware what storage device they were booting and told that we were experimenting w/ settings and they were asked to note any performance differences observed

After 6 weeks, we had 1 report that the system "seemed to boot slower today" ... so on 1 of the 10 days that this system was booted from HD, one thought it might been slower. None of the other 4 users noticed anything.

2. Another test was run with identical laptops, sole difference being a) was SSD + 7200 rm HD b) was SSHD. None reported any performance differences.

But yes, you can use storage benchmarks to show how fast a device **can be** .... my old Porsche could hit 165 mph. But when using it to go to work, it doesn't get me there any faster than the Volkswagon bug. The user is the bottleneck in this equation just as rush hour traffic ans speed limits was for the cars analogy. Yes we can time opening up 100 tabs in google and have a big "Aha moment" but fact is no one does this in the normal course of their day.... we can run an Office suite script and finish 10 seconds ahead with the SSD over the HD and have another "aha moment", but again those scripted office suite tests combine 100 or more individual commands triggered by one or more keystrokes. A human can react to 100 seconds but they don't have their workflow impacted by saving 0.1 seconds 100 times.

2017's 5400 rpm SSHDs are faster than 2010's 7200 rpm SSHD because areal density has increased more then rps have decreased. Beyond that, it's really impossible to make comparisons unless you know the areal density of the drives being compared or have application based benchmarks. Storage utility benchmarks simply have no impact on how a PC is used int he real world.

abhishek7xavier

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

Thanks a bunch for the great info, but I have a doubt that are those 2.5" 5400rpm SSHD drives usually faster than the 2.5" 7200rpm drives available in the market today? I do not care about the boot times but do about program loading and all. So a bit confused whether to go for a 7200rpm drive like WD10JPLX (which since running on 7200rpm, will consume more power) or the 5400rpm SSHDs like Seagate Firecuda ST1000LXB15 (which eventually will have less power consumption at 5400rpm). I am also fine if at all the Seagate Firecuda ST1000LXB15's performance matches to the WD10JPLX as it will at least consume less power. Or do we have some even better SSHDs available in the market like even better than Seagate Firecuda ST1000LXB15?