Can Faster Ram work?

Iwan_1992

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
i have 6x1GB ddr3 667MHz ram and i would like to get 8gb of ram (later upgradeable to 16 if possible) but the lowest frequency that i can get my hands on (in my country) is 1333Mhz ram. i have no idea if my motherboard supports more/faster ram.

specs:
Windows 10 64bit
6x1GB ddr3 (PC3-10700 i have no idea if this is important) 667 mhz.
i7 920 2,67 GHz
Motherboard: Acer FX58M
128GB SSD
500GB HDD

I believe your computer actually uses a triple-channel memory setup, so you would likely get the best performance by installing three or six identical sticks of RAM at a time. Running the memory in dual channel mode will likely work as well but might not be quite as fast. The motherboard might also support DDR3 1600, and potentially higher, though I couldn't really find documentation on that specific motherboard. It might be one Acer used specifically for certain pre-built systems, or maybe its actual model number is something else.

Is the computer an Acer M7720? Crucial's site suggested that it might support up to six 4GB sticks, for a maximum of 24GB. They also list DDR3 1600 as being compatible with that system, though I don't know whether it will run at its full speed, or clock down to something lower...

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-m7720

Edit: Also, what are you primarily using this computer for? Gaming, or general desktop use, or something else? For just general desktop use, 6GB might still be okay, unless you find that you're topping that out regularly.

I wouldn't worry about it.
You should be fine with any of the main stream RAM manufacturers.