How do you clean temp. files and other junk files from your PC

Solution
I use CCleaner also.

But I also have my only personal policy about downloads and installs. I limit such activities to "needs" versus "like to haves".

Not always easy as there are some really interesting tools, utilities, etc.. to be found.

However, once I have finished testing I immediately uninstall and/or delete as applicable.

And I tend to squirrel away .pdf tutorials, white papers, diagrams and such to read later on. Which may or may not happen

All are saved in a designated folder that can be deleted without worry that some important file will be lost.

Keeping the drive "clean as you go", at least as best you can sans the leftover junk that does accumulate can be a big help.

Always get a bit uneasy during large...
run the windows cleanmgr.exe

it will do a lot but you can also control panel to remove software you do not use.
you can also run cmd.exe or powershell
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded (have not run this on windows 10)
(there are lots of various dism.exe commands that clean up stuff, just have not used them very often0)

to remove old service packs

After a bit of Googling I have found https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/75986411-7b0f-45fa-b099-f58b2eb87ff4/usage-dism-online-cleanupimage-spsuperseded?forum=winservergen . Not sure if anything similar has happened to 10 users. I will continue to look into your suggestions. Thanks for the insight.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Slightly newer article:
Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 automatically reduce the size of the WinSxS folder by using methods similar to the ones described in this topic, in addition to internal processes, such as uninstalling and deleting packages with components that have been replaced by other components with newer versions. Previous versions of some components are kept on the system for a period of time, allowing you to rollback if necessary. After a period of time, these older components are automatically removed from the installation.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/clean-up-the-winsxs-folder

Thanks for that.

What do you think about compressing or moving WinSxS? Good idea?

Ralston18

Titan
I use CCleaner also.

But I also have my only personal policy about downloads and installs. I limit such activities to "needs" versus "like to haves".

Not always easy as there are some really interesting tools, utilities, etc.. to be found.

However, once I have finished testing I immediately uninstall and/or delete as applicable.

And I tend to squirrel away .pdf tutorials, white papers, diagrams and such to read later on. Which may or may not happen

All are saved in a designated folder that can be deleted without worry that some important file will be lost.

Keeping the drive "clean as you go", at least as best you can sans the leftover junk that does accumulate can be a big help.

Always get a bit uneasy during large housecleaning efforts. Never know what may get deleted and removed during the process. Or maybe corrupted.

Work some "prevention" into your computing practices.... Safer than "cure".

Solution

Great advice.