Spark on Motherboard, PC works,

atanasovgoran

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2016
Hello guys, I hope I am posting on the correct categorry

I was mounting a new DAC under my desk and plugging it to my computer. (optical SPDIF, shouldn't have anything to do with it.) While the computer was still running.

I pressed against the case (near the back fan) and there was a spark and burned electronics smell from the motherboard on top of the 1st PCI-e connector near the fan connector, where the fan was connected.
The computer turned off and started the boot process again, which it succeeded, the fan continued to spin, but I disconnected it (it's a 6 year old cheap-o-fan from Thermaltake).

The computer seems to work fine, my guess would be that the fan speed circuitry is burned, didn't test it, I don't thing it was ESD, but maybe I am wrong, what do you guys think?

I also wanted to ask for suggestions on what diagnostic programs to run to make sure that everything is fine.

CPU: i7 6700K
Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII Hero
RAM: 32GB DDR4 from Corsair
GPU: Sapphire RX480 OC 8GB
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 512GB

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
tough to say. What you should do is pull the whole motherboard out and see if there are any charred bits. If so take a pic and post it. Generally speaking burnt smell is all bad. As for programs you can run...Could do some benchmarks and stress things but until you pull he motheboard to make sure there are no charred bits, that is a bad idea. If you find charred bits on it I suggest you replace your motherboard.

atanasovgoran

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2016

There is not any charring that I can see, keep in mind that the Mobo PCBs is black, so it would be hard to see.
Anyways I am gonna run some tests and report.

atanasovgoran

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2016
Just an update.

I guess nothing is wrong with the PC.
A few days of Stress testing, benchmarking, gaming and rendering later, and nothing weird happened. I guess it was a ESD discharge and ASUS anti surge works.