Video Designer/Editor going from 1080p 60hz to 2k 144hz monitor

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I was really excited to get this purchase. My eyes grow tired of the 60hz. Medically, it was a sound decision since recently I had a brain tumor removed. Sources say its a great idea to increase the hertz for the brain and eyes.

I was so excited when the Benq XL2735 arrived EARLY! My first test was to set it to 144 hz. Woooooow, it was amazing. The mouse is sooo much smoother on my desktop. Then, phase 2 was to try out some games. CS:GO, never looked so crisp at 1440p. Overwatch didn't have much difference, but the smoothness of the frames was noticeable. So very exciting already.

Then getting into what I do for work was testing out the programs, After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. This was where I started to grind my teeth, all my menus and toolbars were significantly smaller. Enough to make me have to lean in to select the proper tool on the menu. Notice some eye straining to do this through out. Its fantastic that I can get more items in my program visible for faster use, but more problematic for my eyes. And the thing is, I have great eyesight. I'm recently 32 and dont need glasses. My head sits about 3 feet from my monitor, which is where I've normally kept it. I think this is the kicker for me.

I've also noticed some more sluggishness to my computer, even though its a fast machine, this monitor does seem to but some strain on the resources, not much, but little things here and there hint towards it.

So I've decided to return this monitor in for a 1080p 144hz, which I'm REALLY sad about. I do like this monitor A LOT. For gaming purposes solely, I recommend this 10 out of 10 (if your computer is able to handle it). But I am not sure I can recommend this for those people who seek it for working purposes. I want to like it. I do like it. But everything is just small enough to make it annoying.

If anyone has an advice regarding settings on this monitor let me know. Thanks

As much as I like to criticize Microsoft, this one is actually Adobe's fault. They came up with their own method of drawing the UI instead of using standard Windows API calls (in their defense the API may not have allowed them to do certain things like tear-off menus and toolbars). As a result, the scaling Microsoft has been busily adding to Windows to get menus to work on these high-PPI monitors doesn't do anything for Adobe programs.

FWIW, a 27" 1440p monitor has about the same PPI as a 20.5" 1080p monitor. Likewise a 24" 1080p monitor has about the same PPI as a 32" 1440p monitor. But yeah, as you get older you start to get eyestrain if the monitor is too close, and eventually you lose the ability to focus entirely at something that close. If you don't mind feeling like an old man, you could get a weak pair of reading glasses and try wearing those when using the monitor. See if that helps alleviate the eyestrain.

Speed depends on your video card. 2560x1440 is 70% more pixels than 1920x1080. Sluggishness is relative to that.

Have you tried setting scaling in Windows ,and how do your programs behave with that?

If you can't tolerate scaling, you might also consider moving up in monitor sizes, though I am only aware of a few monitors in the 32" (31.5") size range at 2560x1440 resolution, that also do 144hz,. such as the SAMSUNG C32HG70 .

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

No I have not tried the scaling as you mentioned. I think after reading both your guys comments that I am making a good decision, hard decision, but overall, a good one for me.

Everything is just so small. Browser, all applications outside gaming, 3D platform, etc etc. Its just not what i want. I like the clarity, but not at the expense of everything scaling.

As for going up in monitor size. I dont really prefer this as 27 inches is big enough. I game and dont need to be moving my neck while playing.

TRENDING THREADS