Laptop HDD's For Desktop Raid

This for a general purpose desktop made from spare parts so nothing critical, programming, web browsing and light gaming.

So rather than go out a buy a 3.5in HDD for storage, how about using a bunch of 250GB 4000rpm laptop HDD's in raid-10 for storage, 64GB SSD for OS.

Although I'm not sure, power usage shouldn't be that much different from a single 3.5in HDD ?

Your thoughts ?

Seems like a lot of work. If those drives are old, then raid might die soon. Also those 250GB drives are sloooooow.
might be nice exercise and interesting case to try, but I think you will still be better with new one.
Make this raid and tell me your experience.
with 4 drives power will be:
~~1.6W read/write, ~~.55W idle x4
VS example WD green 3.5:
Read/Write 6.00 Watts
Idle 5.50 Watts
Standby 0.80 Watts
Sleep 0.80 Watts

USAFRet

Titan

Drive power requirements is pretty small anyway. But I'd think that more than 2 laptop drives would consume more than a single large 3.5".

I checked, looks like 5400 2.5 drives take ~3 times less power. Interesting. I always thought they are ~15-20W.

USAFRet

Titan

Depends on the actual use.
My HTPC gets by with a 120GB. But it only has 2 duties...play movies and play music.
Of which all that lives on a whole different system, and is accessed over the LAN.

No games, no applications, no 'general use'.

Wanted to save the ££ on new HDD when I have these sitting around unused, recycle and all that green PC stuff ;)

Looking at the power info on 3.5" and 2.5" labels, there does seem to be good saving here, with the raid-10 providing a boost.