Can I get a laptop with powerful CPU and run it at lower power to save battery?

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
I'm looking for a new laptop and see some CPU's are throttled, the I5 7200u for instance.

If I get a laptop with say an i7 7700, can I run it on less power when on battery, can I "underclock" it?

I know windows has power options, but would like to get more control.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Chances are slim to (more likely) none that you'll find a laptop with a full-power i7-7700 installed. Part of that is because they're completely different sockets (i7-7700 used LGA 1151, i5-7200U uses BGA 1366).

That being said, if you need a more powerful laptop CPU, look for one of the Kaby Lake "H" CPUs:
-- 4C/4T models: i5-7300HQ (2.5GHz base, 3.1-3.5GHz Turbo) or 7440HQ (2.8GHz base, 3.4-3.8GHz Turbo)
-- 4C/8T models: i7-7700HQ (2.8GHz base, 3.4-3.8GHz Turbo), 7820HQ/7820HK (2.9GHz base, 3.5-3.9GHz Turbo), or 7920HQ (3.0GHz base, 3.6-4.0GHz Turbo).

They're almost as powerful as the desktop versions (hence their higher 45W TDP), so they should come with a beefier cooling system. And with the power profiles you should be able to manage your battery usage.

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015

Thanks for great info! A pentium 4200 runs 6w and i5 7200 15w, are you saying these guys run 45w? My pentium b950 is 28w....

Does it mean that an i7 h at lower power settings could consume and run like a pentium or celeron and give me great battery life?

The quad cores use a lot more power because Intel uses processor binning to "create" laptop CPUs. Basically, laptop and desktop CPUs are the same thing when they come off the production line. Intel tests each one, and the ones which are able to function properly at lower power and voltage get binned as laptop CPUs. The rest become desktop CPUs.

The chance of both cores in a dual core CPU operating properly at lower power and voltage is fairly good. The chances of all four cores on a quad core CPU operating properly is not so good. So there's a shortage of laptop quad cores. To make enough quantity of laptop quad core CPUs, Intel has to ease up on the requirements. Which means they run at a higher voltage and burn a lot more power.

The TDP is the recommended cooling, so corresponds to the maximum power the CPU could consume (some don't even reach this max). Power consumption at idle or low power is much lower than the TDP. But because the quad cores operate at higher voltage (in addition to having 2 extra cores), they will use more power than a laptop dual core.

It's possible to get lucky and get a quad core which will undervolt like a champ and get great battery life. But it's exceedingly rare. I wouldn't count on it. If you really, really want a low power, low temperature laptop, I would stick with the dual cores. The quad core laptops with great battery life just stick a huge battery inside (70-100 Wh, vs about 20-40 Wh for the typical dual core laptop).

Power consumption is non-linear though. Increasing clock speed by 10% results in much more than a 10% increase in power consumption. So it's really the extremely high clock speeds you want to avoid. If you're ok with somewhat high temps and moderate battery life, you can get it from a quad core by (1) turning off hyperthreading in the BIOS, (2) turning off Turbo Boost (set max process state to 99%), and (3) limiting the max speed (set max processor state to something lower than 99%).

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015

Wow Solandri, you sound like a super pro, are you an engineer? This info is awesome!