Cannot boot into Windows after a hard drive add/remove

yumito

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have a custom built pc that has been working fine since I built it (5 months ago) I was having an issue with another pc so I foolishly thought it would be a good idea to:

Put the SSD from the other PC into my PC into sata4 booted up and attempted to install a driver pack. When this didn't work I removed the drive and rebooted my PC.

After the windows logo appeared I got the error, "critical process has died" startup repair started automatically after the reboot which also generated an error.

In advanced options I opened the cmd prompt which was default to the x:\\ windows\system33 directory. Scannow did not work, chkdsk, did not work.

I attempted to switch to C: and run the commands from there but they did not work. I tried booting from another partition but it said no OS installed.

I will give more details when I get home in 6 hours

Solution

In your case, the "likelihood" is apparently 100%.

Return both systems to their original config. You will almost certainly have to mess with the BIOS boot settings to get them to work. Maybe even reset the BIOS back to the default config.

yumito

Honorable
May 30, 2013
But what is the likelyhood it would cause system b to stop working?

On startup I choose to boot from system A's drive which allowed it to boot. But once removed and booting back into system b's drive I now can no longer boot into b which was working fine until I did this.

USAFRet

Titan

In your case, the "likelihood" is apparently 100%.

Return both systems to their original config. You will almost certainly have to mess with the BIOS boot settings to get them to work. Maybe even reset the BIOS back to the default config.

Solution