3rd monitor seeing laptop but laptop not seeing monitor anymore

phoenixregime

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
I hooked up a third monitor today, it's laptop > mini display to vga adapter > vga cable > monitor. This is the 3rd monitor in my setup, the second is simply an hdmi hookup. The monitor worked fine at first, then when i adjusted the resolution down, it went blank, I clicked revert, but nothing. The laptop is not detecting the monitor, but the monitor is detecting the laptop. When I unplug the mini display from the laptop, the monitor still acts like it sees something, when i unplug the vga from the minidp-vga adapter, the monitor no longer detects anything. Running windows 8.1. I've tried powering down everything, disconnecting everything.

Solution attempt 1: Tried to mess with the resolution and revert of the other monitors, I have no ability to work with the monitor that is currently blank as the system is not detecting it, even if I go through the control panel and look at devices, it does not see the 3rd.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Have you tried changing your resolution, accepting it - and then changing it back?

Sounds like the VGA connector monitor failed to catch the "revert" instruction you gave.

I would assume your resolution would have to be the lowest common denominator of the 3.... so probably your laptops native resolution?

phoenixregime

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

I don't have access to monitor from the settings, I tried to play around with the settings of the other monitors and lower the resolutions, but no luck.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The monitor is connecting to whatever output is being provided by the laptop.

Reduce the resolution on the laptop to it's native resolution (or lower, if the VGa monitor only supports lower). Then connect the 3rd monitor and reboot.
VGA can be a bit tricky, as it's not generally able to connect/detect while the system is running, so I'd reboot once you've landed a common resolution.

phoenixregime

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
So apparently when I adjust the resolution I must have fried the minidp to vga adapter, replaced and works fine now. Thanks Barty1884 for trying to help!

Solution