Need help with upgrading old Dell Optiplex 745 MT

jc5311379

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
Hello,
today I have found an old Dell Optiplex 745 MT without any RAM, CPU or GPU and not really great PSU. I would like to make it into an low budget gaming PC for some indie games and stuff like CS:GO or maybe even GTA V. The main problem is that it has 305W PSU which is not even 80+ certified.

Thus, I have several questions:
- Is it possible to cheaply upgrade PSU (I am talking like under 20$). How are things around PSU compatibity? Is it even worth it?
- I was wondering if I could fit in there Intel Xeon X5450 modified for LGA775. I think quad core CPU would be a huge help (also by coincidence I have already ordered this one a week ago).
- Can I overclock? I mean does the MoBo support it? Will the PSU handle it?
- What GPU wouldn't be bottlenecked by the CPU (4/8-C/T@3.0GHz or more) and would also run without the PSU exploding (preferably without the PSU upgrade). Also I would like to not invest more than 30$ (I am more than totally okay with used components).
- Given the CPU and GPU, how much RAM would be enough?
- Do you think it is worth investing 50$ into an SSD with this kind of build (as it would cost probably the same as the rest of the components)?

I know it's lot of questions at once but I am missing lots of parts :/

(Also, if I have done something wrong, please let me know - first time asking question and still learning english)

Thanks.

There is no way to cheaply upgrade the PSU. If you even find a PSU for below $20 it would both crappy and very dangerous to your system as well as you. Always buy a quality PSU else you WILL having a risk that it will explode.
If you can overclock depends on the mobo.
Seeing that you are not willing to invest anything you will have a hard time. You need a proper quality PSU for overclocking, if you do so you will be heavily bottlenecked if you only wanna invest $30 in a GPU. Also max $50 for SSD will give you no more than 64 GB unless you are lucky to find a real bargain that could give you a 120GB. 64GB is hardly enough for anything these days.

I don't really get you as to why you wanna go with this 10year old CPU instead of building a more modern Kaby Lake or Ryzen build, which would perform 100 times better.

To say it in another way. With what you are trying to build and with the few $ you wanna invest, there is no way that you are going to play GTA-V.

jc5311379

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
Thank you for your response, I really apperaciate it and I also strongly agree. I think I wasn't completely clear about my intentions, so allow me to correct myself.
- I found Seasonic 500W 80+ brozne for 30$. Would it be compatible?
- I want to go with such an old CPU because I found free MoBo, it's just old. The CPU cost me 15$. I just thought that it would be pretty hard to beat MoBo+CPU combo for 15$.
- I have found several 120GB SSDs for 50$ (mostly Sandisk and Kingston, but few were HyperX and Samsung), I am just asking if it's even slightly worth it to spend half of my budget on fast storage.
- Also I am not talking about GTA V at 1080p 60fps but rather 900p 30fps at medium settings or so (I just saw the minimum requirements and thought it would be good enough).
- And still, what about the RAM?

Once more, thank you for your fast response.

Would PSU be compatible, should be, but still a low quality crap PSU.
For storage, better save money for now and get a HDD and spend those money for a better PSU, specially if you wanna overclock.
For RAM, as you are on budget stick with 8 GB.
Not sure what GPU $30 can buy you, but only playing 900p obviously lower the requirements.

jc5311379

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
I definitely will, but apart from price, what do you think is the cheapest gpu that can run games at decent quality?

jc5311379

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
I have found:

30$ - GTX 470
50$ - HD 6970, R7 260X, HD 7790
60$ - HD 7850, GTX 750ti
70$ - GTX 950

Which one do you think is the best deal?

750ti or gtx 950 e probably best in your case as they should both be direct x 12, and I think they are both relatively low power consumption cards.

The 950 would be preferable, but the 750ti would do as well. Since you are on such a budget I would not bother with a higher power consumption card, as one of those could trash your power supply. If your power supply goes out, cheap ones can potentially take a system with them.

jc5311379

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
So if I buy the gtx 950 I could keep the old PSU? Isn't 950 overkill for X5450? If that's the case, wouldn't it be better to split money into PSU and GPU so I would have GPU that's on par with the CPU and a good PSU without worries about shortage?
Also, I found 560ti for 40$

I would still get the psu. Even though the 750 ti and 950 are low power draw cards, I think they recommend a 450 watt PSU.

I also would not go for a 560ti. The lowest card I would say is the 750ti. But if you can stretch the budget get the 950. A lot of new games want dx 12, and the cheapest one you listed that I know can do it is the 7790, but I think that card would be to slow now. The 560ti is only dx 11, so you might get limited and not be able to play some newer titles.