Use windows key on old pc for a new one?

Jwjeremy

Reputable
Jul 26, 2017
So, I was going to build a pc but I didn't want to buy windows. My computer right now has a windows 7 key sticker on it, so will I be able to use that key to activate windows 10 on my pc? Also, I am planning on still using my old computer, so will using both the key mess up windows?

Solution
Pre-online registration, there were several different kinds of windows licenses. The 3 main were 3rd party OEM (Dell, HP etc), pc and user. 3rd party OEM is tied to the bios through the service number, so you could change everything except the motherboard and have windows legally. Change mobo's and you called Dell for a fix.
The second, most common license was pc, which was retail, but again tied to the mobo, the biggest difference was upon installing a new mobo, simply required a full reinstall of windows and reapplication of the key that came on the book.
The third was user. This license wasn't tied to the pc, but the user. You could use this key on any matching OS and the number was stored in windows itself. So you could change...
ONE copy of WINDOWS per PC hardware, period. So no matter what, you need TWO licenses for TWO computers to be used.
Secondly, if your copy of Windows (7) is a HP/Dell/ETC OEM edition it is ONLY licensed to that ORIGINAL HARDWARE it was sold with (and Windows prevents it from running, upgrading, fixing or reinstalling). So again NO you can't 'move' it whenever you want. The similiar restriction (placed on by the OEM not Microsoft) is in place as well for Windows 10.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pre-online registration, there were several different kinds of windows licenses. The 3 main were 3rd party OEM (Dell, HP etc), pc and user. 3rd party OEM is tied to the bios through the service number, so you could change everything except the motherboard and have windows legally. Change mobo's and you called Dell for a fix.
The second, most common license was pc, which was retail, but again tied to the mobo, the biggest difference was upon installing a new mobo, simply required a full reinstall of windows and reapplication of the key that came on the book.
The third was user. This license wasn't tied to the pc, but the user. You could use this key on any matching OS and the number was stored in windows itself. So you could change mobo's and not need reinstall, it'd even boot fine if you stuck the hdd into another OC entirely.

All that said, there's only really one thing any of those licenses have in common. Single use. Only legal for 1 user to use on 1 pc at any given time. No ifs, ands or butts. No exceptions. Perfectly legal for you to move the license to a new pc, under the condition that the old PC is fully retired and no longer valid as a pc. Destroyed. Microsoft allows this to be done exactly 1 time. After that, you'll need to buy a new license.
To run 2 pc's, 3 pc's, 10 pc's means 2x,3x,10x licenses. Microsoft does sell a multiple use license, 3x or 5x, and this is usually cheaper than 3x single use.

Either way, it's still 1 legal license per 1 pc. To do otherwise is illegal and prosecutable, resulting in at least a fine, possibly jail time as well.

Solution

Two corrections about what your saying.

First, in Win7 the introduction of the Windows Key into the BIOS was rare and for late models that were then resold instead with Win8. Microsoft's Win8 requirements was to get rid of the 'sticker' (this reduced the numerous daily 'didn't put the key in right' support calls they statistically showed were a significant cost and reduce piracy of the numerous 'key' stolen enbulk and resold on the grey market) by embedding the 'key' into the BIOS. Win10 eliminates the entire process because now during the 'Scannning' of your system it creates a series of data files on the specific hardware you have the computer installed with, including serial numbers, MAC addressing, etc. then UPLOADS that to Microsoft for THAT embedded copy of of the 'license' to register on Microsoft's Servers - so authentication of validity of the OS is based on what is RECORDED at the time of FIRST EVER installation. This makes it extremely easily (legal wise) to track and prosecute pirated editions by showing the specific unique hardware information was used to pirate.

Secondly. your misleading with "Change mobo's and you called Dell for a fix...". That is inferring that ANY motherboard you change to all you need to do is call Dell, HP, etc. "for a fix", and that is blatantly WRONG. YES you can REPLACE the SAME EXACT model Mobo or CPU for another and call the OEM to reset the licensing on it (which is allowed in the OEM Licensing); you can't though change the CPU/Mobo to ANYTHING ELSE (Different Model, Maker, Brand) as that violates the License. That means if you bought a Dell (for example) XYZ model with a i-3 Core in it and then wanted later to upgrade to a i-7 (same series) Dell's OEM License blocks Windows from supporting it because now you altered the XYZ model to now be a YZX model of their brand. While SOME makers were willing to loosen this (Our brand is UPGRADEABLE!!! Buy Now!) again this didn't mean you could replace the i5-2xxx CPU based Mobo to the same MAKER Mobo but now a i5-4xxx based Mobo and keep Windows. The license again would prevent it, because AGAIN you bought a XYZ model and now your trying to turn it into the newer AAX model instead of buying it from Dell/HP/etc.

USAFRet

Titan

You cannot use the same license on 2 systems. Win 7, Win 10, whatever.
You can't use that Win 7 OEM license on new hardware.

You can maybe Upgrade that Win 7 to Win 10, and maybe transfer that to a new PC. Leaving the old PC with no license.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I've worked on several Dell pc's, upgrading cpus etc. When I swap out a mobo or cpu, I call Dell, tell them I've uograded/replaced whatever part, give them the old serial number on the tag, they give me a new one to accommodate the build. Dells bios is proprietary. It'll only accept certain mobo/cpus, you'd need to write a custom bios in order to use anything outside of their specs. So swapping out an i3 for an i7 is a no brainer, as long as the bios supports the swap as Dell has already given tactile permission in the bios for cpu usage. Dell then recognises the old windows registry key as belonging to a new serial number. But that only works if replacing a cpu or replacing a Dell mobo with a Dell mobo under a Dell Windows license. Obviously if you replaced a Dell mobo with an ASRock aftermarket mobo, Dell would not honor any license for windows as it would no longer be a Dell pc, but a custom pc in a Dell box.

First words.. Pre Online Registration. As in the old days before 7,8,10 had internet connectivity and reason for registration. As in back in the days of XP or 7 when you still had to key in a reg code or you couldn't go further with any windows install.