Upgrading CPU, MOBO, RAM and GPU What do I do with windows?

ollievanny

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
So I’ve bought new components for my pc and have read a fresh windows install is recommended, especially as I’m going from an AMD to Intel CPU. I don’t know what I’m doing with BIOS as my PC was a prebuilt system. So I’d like someone to tell me what to do when it comes to reinstalling and backing up my current windows 10 install. I want to keep the new install as similar as possible the old one but I’m not too sure how to. I have the code for my windows 10 if that help which I’m assuming it will. If someone could tell me what I need to do it would be greatly appreciated, here are the before and after specs. Cheers

Previous --> New
AMD Athlon X4 860K --> Intel i5 6400
Gigabyte ga-f2a78mhd2. --> MSI b150m mortar
8gb ddr3 (don’t know make or speed). --> HyperX fury 16gb DDR4 2133MHz
Zotac GTX 960 2gb --> EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC
KINGSTON SSD 120GB (has windows on it)
1tb Seagate drive.
2tb hitachi drive.
500W EVGA PSU.

prince2206

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
Do you just want to backup your files? just copy them to a usb stick?

Then check whether your windows 10 is tied to your microsoft account: settings>update and security>activation

then you can just sign in when reinstalling- its used for hardware upgrades like what you are doing.

ollievanny

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

So I'm planning on copying everything from my SSD to one of my hard drives( I'm assuming it'll work on a hard drive rather than a USB stick?).
Won't all of the drivers and whatever is is in the windows files be for my old hardware too?
But will I be able to restore to that from the BIOS/setup when I install the new mobo? And if so how? Or do i need to save a backup to my microsoft account in settings?

Sorry for being a noob and thanks for the answer.