Windows 10 Fresh Start won't finish the restart

SvenBruh

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
I've been experiencing some major problems with both hard drives i use, so i decided to use the windows fresh start feature to wipe all my programs but keep windows. The reset got to 64 percent, skips to 93 percent, and then goes back to the start up screen where it shows the bios and other setting before start up. The computer turns off for a second, and then turns back on only to be back at 64 percent. My windows 10 hard drive will no longer boot because it is stuck in that endless loop, and the other hard drive will not boot if the windows 10 hard drive is plugged in. I am unable to get to any of my settings now, any ideas how i could either cancel the fresh start on the windows 10 hard drive or get it to finish the reset?

Solution
I hate that error as there are many solutions and they don't all work every time, in other words it can be a number of things

It can be caused by the USB itself, try another one. You shouldn't need to load any drivers onto the USB to simply load windows.
can be caused by wireless mice
remove any unessential items from PC - extra USB, external hdd, speakers.
run memtest86 on ram sticks, one stick at a time, Any errors will be reason for error.
Sometimes running diskpart on the drive and creating partitions before running installer can help
So could I possibly have TWO BAD SSD units? No, not at all... I remembered that my son's SSD was a small volume 125GB drive. So on a hunch I did the following:

So I placed my SSD (Corsair)...

Colif

Win 11 Master
What is on 2nd hdd that would let it boot?
I haven't ever used that feature myself but if its essentially a clean install, I would start again. Its like a reset and they can go wrong. Best fix is a fresh start.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
detach the 2nd hdd before you start working on boot drive , as win 10 might put its boot partition on it otherwise

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

SvenBruh

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017

The "Fresh Start" option is in the recovery area of the updates and settings in the setting. I will try this now, my second hdd was a slave drive that had a lot of games and such on it, thank you for your reply.

SvenBruh

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017

okay i got the bootable usb and tried to do it but it tells me thatmy partitions are gpt, but im not sure how to delete them or change them? the only way i see is through an os which i cannot access right now. Thank You

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you follow the tutorial I linked? ON step 13 it shows this image

5408d1412182997-clean-install-windows-10-a-5_install_windows_10.jpg
and to get to this point you highlight all the partitions, one at a time, and choose delete. ONce all that remains in unallocated space, click the next key and win 10 will create the 4 partitions it needs and continue the install.

SvenBruh

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017

I followed it all, and am now running into error code 0x8007025D. It gets to 2%, then i get the error code. i saw on other threads that say it could be the bios, but i installed the bios and other motherboard drivers to the usb im using for the windows 10 installer, and it did not solve the problem. Thank you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I hate that error as there are many solutions and they don't all work every time, in other words it can be a number of things

It can be caused by the USB itself, try another one. You shouldn't need to load any drivers onto the USB to simply load windows.
can be caused by wireless mice
remove any unessential items from PC - extra USB, external hdd, speakers.
run memtest86 on ram sticks, one stick at a time, Any errors will be reason for error.
Sometimes running diskpart on the drive and creating partitions before running installer can help
So could I possibly have TWO BAD SSD units? No, not at all... I remembered that my son's SSD was a small volume 125GB drive. So on a hunch I did the following:

So I placed my SSD (Corsair) in an external enclosure, connected it to my laptop, formatted (not Quick Format, but Full Format).
I then created two partitions, Vol1 (125GB - primary) and Vol2 (355GB).
I then opened DISKPART and did a CLEAN and then I CONVERTED the volume to MBR from GPT.
Next I mounted the SSD back in to my PC.
I Reset my BIOS to Factory Defaults just to be safe.
I Ran the installation on the 125GB partition.
WINDOWS 10 installed just fine.
https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/13475-failed-during-clean-install-error-code-0x8007025d-2.html

try those out and see how you go.

Solution

SvenBruh

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
I looked at a lot of the posts there and did a combination of removing all of the accessories, like the keyboard, wifi adapter, and the headset. i also removed the gpu, all but one ram stick, and the other hdd was not plugged in. i cleaned the usb again and redownloaded the media tool for windows 10 and now it is working fine. Thank you for your help.