Blue screen on Lenovo Legion y720 after idle, Windows 10

vladimirterziyski

Commendable
Sep 12, 2017
I bought the laptop 2 months ago: Lenovo Legion y720 with 16GB RAM, SSD drive, standard HDD, GTX 1060. Windows 10 Home
The BSOD started when I began using it for work 2 months ago. I had all my programs installed, Visual Studio, SQL Server, MS Office...

It happens 30-90 minutes after idle time every day. Before that and after restart it doesn't show BSOD.
Every time the error is different - irql_not_less_or_equal, kernel_security_check_failure, etc. Most of the time it shows it in the module nt.

What I've tried so far without success:
- update drivers - MB, integrated GPU, nvidia GPU, all drivers recommended from Lenovo website
- updated bios from Lenovo website.
- turned off almost every schedule task which has idle condition.
- set the power plan to maximum performance, the computer doesn't go to sleep because it has some issues with the Microsoft wireless keyboard receiver and the external monitor (if both are connected the monitor awakes 15 seconds after going on standby)
- tried driver verifier to stress all drivers (with default options) - no BSOD
- disabled fast boot today, but not tested yet, I'll try to see tomorrow if it is related

I didn't test the memory yet with memtest, because I still think the problem is not in memory - it happens only after idle.
This evening I'll run chkdsk to test the drives.
This is the full memory dump: http://www.mediafire.com/file/idy5pedfbeyzmpb/091217-5468-01.zip

Solution

I did some research with whocrashed and it indicated a problem with the nvidia audio driver. Someone else suspected it had to do with a HDMI cable connected to a non audio capable monitor instead of using a display port cable. I ended up disabling the audio port linked to the monitor and haven't had a...

joring99

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017

I have a similar issue with what appears to be the exact same configuration Y720. BSOD regularly when waking up from extended idles. Very interested in your solution if one is found.

vladimirterziyski

Commendable
Sep 12, 2017
It is interesting that I actually have two identical laptops. The one which I'm using has these BSOD's. The other one seems to work fine. I've tested the hardrdives with checkdisk but no errors or bad sectors found. Disabling fast startup had no effect. I've disabled superfetch and now I wait to see if this has anything to do with it. Yesterday I had a BSOD caused by superfetch service trying to access non-valid memory location.

joring99

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017

I did some research with whocrashed and it indicated a problem with the nvidia audio driver. Someone else suspected it had to do with a HDMI cable connected to a non audio capable monitor instead of using a display port cable. I ended up disabling the audio port linked to the monitor and haven't had a BSOD on idle since (two days). I noticed in your original description you mentioned an external monitor, so you may have a similar situation.

Solution

vladimirterziyski

Commendable
Sep 12, 2017

Ok, I've disabled the nvidia audio driver. Lets see if this resolves my problem too. When I analyzed the crash dump with windbg - it didn't show anything related to this driver though. Also I'm using the displayport to connect to my monitor.

vladimirterziyski

Commendable
Sep 12, 2017
After successful several days without BSOD it appears that after disabling the nvidia audio driver (as joring99 mentioned) solved the issue. Thanks for the help joring99, I'll mark your answer as the solution to this problem