Re-Install Windows, Upgraded my MOBO, Fans, RAM, PSU, Case

ayeitsbagio

Reputable
May 6, 2017
I've read plenty of posts regarding this issue and it isn't clear if I need to re-install windows on my new PC. I'm upgrading everything for my PC EXCEPT the GPU and CPU. Some say I have to, some say I don't. Is this a case to case basis?
The current MOBO I have is from dell XPS 8910 upgrading to an Asus 270E. Would branding matter whether I need to reinstall OS?

Can someone clarify if It would make sense if I can just boot windows 10 from my internal HDD and my new drivers would just be detected and installed correct? Or would this be inaccurate since I'm changing a MOBO.

Solution
"Just a question, would I need to reformat my HDD where the previous OS was installed prior moving to the new PC?"

You can do that with Windows 10 Setup after moving the drive over.
Setup allows you to reformat, erase & create partitions.
What version of windows are you running? If you have NOT used the code before install windows AFTER you get the motherboard to make things less painful. If it is a retail key you can bind it your email address and it can activated using your Email address as well.

ayeitsbagio

Reputable
May 6, 2017

I have windows 10 home. Its an OEM i believe considering it's from a pre-built dell PC. I have the Windows 10 code since I was able to run a script that was able to decode the encrypted windows code.

bignastyid

Titan
Preinstalled OEM copies of windows are tied to the original system(motherboard) and can't be transferred. Store bought OEM copies however can be tied to a Microsoft account and moved. So replacing the motherboard will require a new license and most likely a clean reinstall to achieve the best performance and stability. So while it may boot it will end up deactivated and the system may not run properly.

ayeitsbagio

Reputable
May 6, 2017

So I need to purchase a new key and do a fresh install?

bignastyid

Titan

Yes, and probably. You can try just swapping the drive over and it may run but may not run properly as it's different hardware than what it was originally configured to run on during it's install. My recommendation is a clean install.

ayeitsbagio

Reputable
May 6, 2017

I just called Microsoft and said they will troubleshoot the new windows 10 install for me and would happily provide the windows 10 home. So I'm set with that. So I guess I'll need to have a fresh install of windows 10.

Just a question, would I need to reformat my HDD where the previous OS was installed prior moving to the new PC?