New motherboard after replacing, Reinstalling windows 10..

solliman.888

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
A had a asus motherboard but i replaced it for a MSI one, i didn't know windows 10 OEM was tied to the motherboard.... i don't have money to buy another product key.. anything i can do?

Sedivy

Estimable
Why did you replace your old one? If it isn't faulty, you can replace it back, log into a microsoft account, associate that windows version with your account, go through the computer migration setup, then replace the motherboard, log into microsoft account, and from it activate your windows with the same key.

solliman.888

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017

because it Was faulty, what do you mean replace back..? its already been sent back to newegg and i had a terrible experience with asus so i decided to get MSI instead. is there still any way i could do what you said? like link the key to my microsoft account

Sedivy

Estimable
Ah...if you have not already associated your windows key with your microsoft account, not that I know. You could try contacting microsoft support and explaining what happened to your board. I don't know if they can help you without some proof of your purchase of windows license but you can try.

solliman.888

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017

But how do i link it? i logged into windows in the instolation process is that linking it??

Sedivy

Estimable
No. Your key was saved on your old motherboard. If you logged into microsoft account while you had it, and uploaded it it would have linked your account online with that key. Since you don't have that motherboard anymore, this is not something you can try. Just talk to microsoft, they might be able to help you maybe.

USAFRet

Titan
If it is unactivated with the new hardware (likely), then your only recourse is to call MS and plead your case.

Also...you changed the motherboard, and kept the OS on the original drive?
Did it actually boot up with the new hardware?

solliman.888

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017

i haven't built the system yet

USAFRet

Titan

OK...does the system still work? If so, read and do this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html